Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:04 pm 
New Kid

Lauren foresees a Green-Acres type situation for her new suburban backyard, but her husband's vision differs. What do you think of the ruling? Would you ever keep chickens yourself?

http://www.maximumfun.org/judge-john-ho ... stops-here

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

My 50ish next-door neighbors have two chickens in the backyard. They live in one of these: https://www.omlet.us/shop/Eglu/Eglu%20Classic/5301/Chicken%20Eglu%20Red/ and are not "free range"

They're quiet and don't smell, and my neighbors seem to really love 'em.

Remember Werner Herzog's view on the chicken:
http://vimeo.com/9880377

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:47 am 
New Kid

I have had chickens for a year, and they have yet to peck each other to death. They are cute and funny and the eggs are awesome. Also, they don't take up a lot of work and smell less bad than the dog did. Recommended!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:02 pm 

Seems like half the people I know who've had chickens say "They're sweet and wonderful and intelligent and I love them just as much as a cat or a dog," and the other half say "They're assholes and now I chew extra hard when I eat chicken." Maybe it's the breeds? Please chicken people, enlighten me? I've always wanted them but I don't want to be disillusioned by mean, murderous chickens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:39 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

This episode reminded me of possibly my favorite piece of writing by Sarah Bunting (co-founder of Television Without Pity), which is saying a lot. It takes a while before pet chickens are invoked, but it's hilarious throughout:

http://tomatonation.com/stories-true-an ... ey-of-huh/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:25 am 
Maximum Funster

I've had 10 different chickens. Only one of them has ever been nasty (which really only means an occasional harmless peck). One of our chickens was adopted because the other hen she lived with did kill one of her coop-mates.

Other than that, I feed and water them once a week and they're about the lowest-maintenance creatures in my life.

Breed is a consideration and I think the local urban farm stores tend to only offer the well-behaved ones.

And yes, I do live in Portland. So mark up another stereotype on your Portland Bingo cards.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:12 pm 

Our neighbors had chickens when we were growing up, and we'd go over for fresh eggs. The chicken coop was a smelly place, but it was also on a larger scale than the two or three chickens in this case.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:52 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

My family had chickens in out suburban backyard for a while. The hens were nice, but the roosters were assholes. There were 2 in particular that would run up to you and kick you in the shins, or fly up on ledges and dive-bomb you. Also hens that have hatched their own chicks, and are protecting them, will go off on you and basically try to kill you at any expense.

As for pecking eachother they did that a little, to the chicken we then nickneamed "henpeck", but she was more just disheveled than seriously injured.

“He couldn’t have been more pleasant about it” -Jesse Thorn