All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:51 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Have at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:14 am 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

congrats on the first max fun episode! your podcast was one i looked forward to like a christmas present.... only i never knew when christmas would come! so glad it will come more regularly now. as for the episode, you didn't disappoint. i don't know how you do it, but a story like this almost always leaves me choked up in a way.... just astonished on what you find and how you present it and how much it makes me think that i could never get inside the head of someone who lived then that had no ability to listen to anything ever again. how spoiled are we?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:24 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Another beautiful episode, thanks!

One of the things it made me think about was that one could make a similar point about experiencing sights pre-photography (maybe with Helen of Troy standing in for Jenny Lind?). But somehow that didn't seem quite right. Paintings and even drawings seem like a more satisfactory replacement for lost sights than, e.g., sheet music is for lost performances. I wonder if that's because of the intimacy of sound, or because sheet music can't really be experienced completely without the help of an intermediary. Or maybe it's just me in the first place.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I learned about the show via the Max Fun connection (just bad luck I hadn't heard it before, since I usually listen to 99% Invisible and sometimes to the Slate Daily Podcast), and won't shut up about it to everyone I know. I hope The Memory Palace joining the network will help spread the word and, naturally, lead to a ginormous payday during the next pledge drive!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:34 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

This is the only episode I've listened to besides 0, and it endeared me to the podcast very much to hear Nate talk about being a(n ex-?) punk. There are surprising few of us out there. But, Nate, what the heck was the name of the band you talked about at the beginning? I liked it a lot and want to listen to them more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:44 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Since folks've asked, here's the music used in episode 45, Heard, Once:

The song I talk about is "A Girl's Tool-Box," by a band called Tattle-Tale. It was Jen Wood [url]http://www.myspace.com/jenwood\[/url] (who's got a bunch of solo records) and Madigan Shive in a cello punk band thing called Bonfire Madigan http://www.bonfiremadigan.com/ that I saw a few times back in the day. There's a version of the song on their Kill Rock Stars full-length but it's faster and kind of indie-popped out in a way that is perfectly acceptable but kind of bummed me out when I heard it, having thought I'd found the song I'd been looking for. You can google around and found the cassette version on your own, if that's the way you want to play it.

Score wise:

It's "Bible Silver Corner" from Rodan's album, Rusty, which was about all I listened to for months on end in 1994.

Some version of Debussy's Sarabande II (or II. Sarabande, I don't know how those things go) comes next and circles back for a sec at the end.

A piece called "Arm Drawing" from the 500 Days of Summer score (chopped up and looped and whatnot) does a lot of the heavy lifting.

The opening theme of Please Give, the (very good) Nicole Holofcener movie has become the memory palace's unofficial theme for anytime PT Barnum shows up in a story.

OH: the thing under the intro is "Old New Bicycle" by Helvetia. It's often the music under show intros.

There's also a snippet of Beatles in there that I don't know if anyone else will actually be able to hear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:02 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I LOVE THIS PODCAST.

And especially loved this episode. I wonder about a future where there is so much past to sift through...yeah, we have recordings of Etta James, but will anybody bother to listen in 100 years?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:03 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

violetdagrinder wrote:
I LOVE THIS PODCAST.

This is great! I listened to every episode over the weekend. Glad to have you here, Nate!