Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

This week, Raj brings a case against his girlfriend Surita. He alleges Surita, a filmmaker and film aficionado, constantly recommends classic and arthouse titles he, a movie layperson, finds horrible. Despite his lack of enjoyment, Surita persists in her artsy suggestions, and Raj is beginning to lose patience – he wants to watch movies and TV shows that entertain, and he claims Surita enjoys and is even inspired by many of his lowbrow suggestions. Is Surita right in her efforts to up Raj’s cultural ante, or should she lose the privilege of calling the shots? Only one man can decide.

Guest bailiff Monte Belmonte from WRSI The River joins us again this week, and special guest John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats sticks around to facilitate the distribution of JUSTICE.

Judge John Hodgman Episode 74: The Split Screen Decision

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:12 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I cannot believe that Jesse and Jordan would allow such unabashed Statham bashing to appear on a max fun podcast. The fact that the honorable and normally infallible Judge John Hodgman so poo pooed the cinematic masterpiece Crank 2 which he appeared to have never actually seen, made my heart cry a little bit. He does realize that Jason Statham is the most loveable and enjoyable human being on earth? Can we try to get a podcast cross over with "How Did This Get Made?" so they can explain to the honorable judge why his position on Crank 2 is ludicrous.

Also, I could not possibly have been happier for a return appearance of the great John Darnielle. I would be happy to have him as a guest expert witness as much as possible even on subjects that he has no knowledge of whatsoever. I already have my tickets to see the mountain goats in October and cannot wait for the new album.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:05 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Totally agree. Crank 2 is not mindless entertainment by any means. Never before has a protagonist been such a blatant metaphor for the audience (that needs to be "shocked" to keep it's attention span going), never before has a movie heightened an idea to such absurd conclusions. We're talking about the Roadhouse and the Big Trouble In Little China of the Millennial generation. (That being said, Crank is a better movie than it's sequel.) It sounds like Hodgman was likening it to The Expendables, which is just unfair.

In your own words, your honor, "Good taste is defined by being open minded."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:31 pm 
New Kid

APPEAL and AMICUS BRIEF FILING

Sirs,

I would like to learn the process for filing an amicus curiae brief with the Court. Additionally, I'm curious as to the proper citation format for prior decisions by the court (ex, 74 JJHO 45 [minute mark]). I realize that (at least in the case of the former) an amicus is not particularly useful when the decision has already been made, but I believe that it might have some utility in a future where there is no longer a centralized civil government, only a crude collective of walled citadels, a galaxy-wide ice trade bedeviled by louche pirates, and Hodgman-made law. Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Lazlo Hollyfeld, Esq.

PS - Who doesn't like "An American Werewolf in London"? Jesus.

PPS - Keep clear of the moors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:52 pm 
New Kid

I don't know what the precedent of the court is when it comes to Amicus briefs, but you can email hodgman [at] maximumfun.org and see what happens. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:05 pm 
New Kid

Thank you Tom, you truly are a Maximum Intern.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:49 pm 
New Kid

I love Monte Bailiffmonte, but I wish Bailiff Jesse had been there so he could have suggested they watch Berlin Alexanderplatz.