It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:58 pm 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:43 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I'm not even half way through the episode, and Jordan has already made reference to the ska band who played my brother's Bar Mitzvah and my cousin is a charter member of, Big D and the Kids Table. More ska talk I say!! Bring me back to my wonderful memories of 1997. I of course growing up in the east coast, Boston ska scene had a much different experience than both Jordan in the southern California ska scene and Brian in the northern California ska scene. Instead of wearing Vans, we wore Sambas and some people even wore those slip on shoes with the black and white checkered pattern, and instead of listening to Slow Gherkin and Skankin' Pickle, we listened to Catch-22 and Spring Heeled Jack. Can we get a special all ska podcast with Jordan and his ska friends?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:16 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I would love it if Jordan (or anyone else) has a Spotify playlist of some deep cuts of third wave ska they'd like to share. I like listening to that kind of stuff in the mornings to get me going but don't know any bands apart from the really well known ones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:07 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

My name is cobyrne and I'm here to say: ska sucks in a major way.

(You can thank me later Jesse.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:09 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

And here I was thinking that these forums were a place for positivity. I've never tried sharing a spotify playlist before, so here's a random ska playlist I put together in about ten minutes. Warning: some of these songs do suck.

http://open.spotify.com/user/1247751885 ... hjkkCntAw9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:04 pm 
New Kid

Hey guys.....in addition to Jim Thome not being retired, it's also rumored that Tommy Lasorda is not dead yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:05 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

In the words of skate era Propagandhi, which was not coincidentally the best era of Propagandhi, "ska sucks." None truer have ever spoken, even by such an outspoken band. Give me public transit talk any day of the week. I'm serious. I love hearing about public transit. I used to take three buses to school. How's that for third wave, assholes. :evil: :evil: :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Who knew ska and public transpo would be among the most divisive topics in the history of JJGo? Either way Brian Heater is a fantastic guest and I'm so glad you guys had him on... and let's get unemployed Gene back again!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:53 am 
New Kid

I was horrified 2 weeks ago when Jesse made those terrible statements about Jim Thome, and I'm relieved to hear Jesse's apology. And Jordan should be ashamed of himself to call it nitpicking.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:30 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

It's funny, when I heard Jesse say that Jim Thome was retired, my first thought was no he wasn't, and then my second immediate thought after that was, oh, people are going to let him know about that fact, well that sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 am 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

This problem is running rampant in New York City. I am seeing people every day not necessarily wearing black suits but black dress pants with brown belts and shoes. It's driving me insane and it has to stop. Please Jesse educate the masses!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:40 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

newamsterdam wrote:
And here I was thinking that these forums were a place for positivity. I've never tried sharing a spotify playlist before, so here's a random ska playlist I put together in about ten minutes. Warning: some of these songs do suck.

http://open.spotify.com/user/1247751885 ... hjkkCntAw9

Thanks very much! It might not be *good* music, but it's fun music.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:42 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Not referring specifically to your playlist btw - I'm at work and haven't even opened it yet. I just mean third wave ska in general.

I do love talking about public transport too, so if anyone would like to debate the quickest/most pleasant way to get from one place in London to another, I'M RIGHT HERE!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:13 pm 
New Kid

Guys, stop fighting. I think we can all agree that third wave ska is the greatest music and that I was an amazing guest.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I couldn't possibly argue with either of those statements. Not only that, but you are a connector as well. When you talked about taking public transportation to a ska show, my heart wept tears of joy of you bringing all those worlds together.