Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 pm 
New Kid

YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE: This episode includes references to and discussion of smoking and drug use, which you may not find suitable for children.

This week: a case of Cigarettiquette.

Robert brings the case against his good friend Bradley. Bradley, in an attempt to quit smoking, has substituted electronic cigarettes for the use of real, tobacco-filled cigarettes. He'll "smoke" the e-cigarettes wherever they're technically allowed. Robert worries about the appearance of the "smoke" and thinks Bradley should show more discretion when e-smoking in public places, whether they're hanging out at a sporting event or a concert. Who is right, and who is wrong? Only one man can decide.

http://maximumfun.org/judge-john-hodgma ... ettiquette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:24 pm 
New Kid

Big fan of the show. I love the puns in the title (my favorite was probably "Cannery Row"). Anyway, I thought the part about blowing bubbles was hilarious as there actually is a team in the English Premiere League (which is arguably the biggest soccer league in the world) called West Ham that has fans that blow bubbles at each home game and sing about blowing bubbles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Forever_Blowing_Bubbles#West_Ham_connection

Allegedly, this team has some of the more violent soccer fans in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 pm 
New Kid

Thanks! The titles are actually suggested by fans. The titles are then made to fight in gladiatorial games until only the best one remains (or sometimes, we just pick them, to save time).

If you'd like to contribute to the naming of episodes, you should check out our Facebook page.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I was going to mention this fact about the Hammers who's official song is the classic "I'm forever blowing bubbles." The violence associated with their fans is more of leftover from the 80s and 90s when hooliganism was rampant in English football. It is no longer part of the culture to nearly the degree it was to that time period.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:00 pm 
Maximum Funster

Bradley seems to have some sort of special version of Skype where whenever he's talking, it cuts off the audio of anyone else trying to talk. That's the only explanation for his steadfast refusal to let Judge Hodgman interject, finishing his sentence no matter what.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:12 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

Archduke Chocula wrote:
Bradley seems to have some sort of special version of Skype where whenever he's talking, it cuts off the audio of anyone else trying to talk. That's the only explanation for his steadfast refusal to let Judge Hodgman interject, finishing his sentence no matter what.

Yeah, Skype definitely does that, so whoever is on the local mic (where the chat is recorded) ends up being able to talk over the others, but they can't hear. When bandwidth gets tights the audio cuts out over people. That's one big reason we started using Google Hangouts for my podcast, since Skype just ends up cutting one person off any time it needs more bandwidth.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:37 pm 
Maximum Funster

janus1172 wrote:
Archduke Chocula wrote:

Yeah, Skype definitely does that, so whoever is on the local mic (where the chat is recorded) ends up being able to talk over the others, but they can't hear. When bandwidth gets tights the audio cuts out over people. That's one big reason we started using Google Hangouts for my podcast, since Skype just ends up cutting one person off any time it needs more bandwidth.

Hah, I didn't even know that was true. I just thought that guy was being a jackass for not letting Hogdman interrupt him.