Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:31 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

What'd y'all think?

Music in this one is:

Happy Land, off of Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' score for The Proposition. (Which is a great western).
Becalmed, off of Brian Eno's Another Green World. (Which is a great record).
Charu's Theme. Which is from a Satayajit Ray movie and, I just realized, from The Darjeeling Limited score (which might be my favorite Wes Anderson movie. Deal with it).
Arthur R. Kelly's Five Moods for Two Bassoons as played by Dong-Yun Kwon & someone else (but I don't need to tell you that, bassoon fan).
Malice Afterthought off of Calexico's soundtrack to a movie called The Guard, which I haven't seen but I like to imagine is an indie-rock Paul Blart Mall Cop.
and finally:
Wolkenschatten, op. 136: I Tranquillo by 2-Chainz muse, Gebreuder Ohrentaub from the album, Four Brothers (which also features a four tuba-version of Ebony and Ivory, the Ebony is represented by the brass keys of a tuba, the ivory is also represented by the brass keys on a tuba).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I don't have much to say other than beautiful as always. I finally gave your podcast a listen last week and fell so immediately in love, that I plowed through every single episode in an afternoon. I truly appreciate all the work you must do in the researching and producing of these three to ten minute nuggets of gold. The addition of this podcast to the max fun network makes me smile that much more every time I get my monthly donation email from paypal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

What an amazing amazing story. I had crazy goosebumps at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:29 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I listened to this one while eating dinner at a pizza place in Center City, Philadelphia. I realized I was going to cry.

I cried.

Good job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:47 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I was listening to this episode on a rare rainy Austin, Texas morning, while roughly 70,000 students, staff members, construction crews, and miscellaneous campus visitors evacuated the UT Austin campus.

This episode came on (I have one of those shuffle-only things, so the playlist order is something of a surprise) right after the emergency sirens started up. I assumed that I must have ignored the email warning of the monthly siren test, but something was wrong. As I stepped onto the path outside of the building housing my lab, I realized there were just too many people. The bottom two floors are mostly glass, and I could see that the inside was almost empty. I paused your podcast right after you revealed it was about the Donner party. I would be lying if I said I wasn't creeped out that only two seconds later a building worker started shouting "It's not a fucking drill! Go! NOW!"

My entire academic career has been spent at giant state schools (Penn State, UGA, and UT Austin). Bomb threats are so common that they're a joke. The building is evacuated, searched, and, usually within a few hours, everything goes back to normal. Most people roll their eyes and shuffle out of the building. If it's an old building that can't be secured as swiftly, the faculty and staff often congregate for an unexpected coffee/beer break and enjoy those few hours of freedom. Bomb threats are the new "the dog ate my homework." I really wish that was hyperbole employed for comic effect, but it isn't.

Of course I'm glad that they took this threat seriously. After all, there is still at least one bullet hole in the Fawn Academic Center's pillars from that shooting back in 1966, which my grad coordinator pointed out to me during my recruitment visit. Way to recruit grad students, bro.

So there I was in the rain (it hadn't rained like that in many, many months), trying to get off campus, but trying to get home, and hearing people chattering out of one ear that this was apparently an Al Qaeda threat. I had the "After Party" episode going in the other ear. I was teetering on the edge of panicking. Your voice helped keep me sane. Sorry for the melodrama, but it was eerie, surreal, and I found myself thinking in survival mode while listening to a story about a group of families facing a survival scenario. I do feel like I owe your voice a little bit of thanks for keeping me from going totally batty.

When I reached the southern edge of the capitol building, the foot traffic had diffused enough so that I could fully listen. I was simultaneously dismissive and annoyed by the evacuation, and also thinking about where I should go if the whole campus does, indeed, explode behind me. What if I was in those snowy woods? I want to be one of the few that makes it out of the woods. I figured I should just keep walking south. I moonlight a few nights a week at a restaurant safely outside of the blast zone, about two miles south, so I would find compassionate help from people I trust there. The entire time my mom was texting me, asking for updates, and informed me about the North Dakota State threats. I don't have a smartphone, so I was relying on texts only, and after hearing that the threats went beyond UT, I just figured all major state schools were soon to follow. I started to panic a little, but I tried to channel the panic into just walking south.

When I was finally about 20 blocks from campus, I noticed that everyone downtown was just taking their normal coffee breaks as if nothing was happening. Because, of course, nothing actually happened. My heart finally started beating at a reasonable rate, I rented the nearest Car2Go, and I took a circuitous route home, careful to avoid the campus area by at least a mile. And everything was fine. I rewound to my last stopping point in the podcast and heard about how the last Donner reconciled with the supposed cannibal, while I dutifully informed my frightened family members that everything is fine.

I'm not sure what to make of it, if there's anything there. It seemed fitting that the backdrop of a pretty major bomb scare was a piece about the Donner party.

That was an interesting day. I'm glad your podcast was the background to it.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Sorry for boring the rest of the forum members to tears and being a little melodramatic. I hope we get to enjoy more of your work!

Edit: obvious connection: nothing actually happened. People make up stories, panic ensues, and nothing happens. Is that the lesson? I like that lesson. Everything is way more boring than we think it is, but at least everything is sorta OK.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:03 pm 
New Kid

Wow. Glad you're okay!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

NateD wrote:
Wolkenschatten, op. 136: I Tranquillo by 2-Chainz muse, Gebreuder Ohrentaub

You're going to have to explain this bit. Great episode

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:17 pm 

Great story, metatarsals -- not a bit boring. Glad all is well there.

I didn't think I'd cry because I had a warning from this forum that it was cry material. I was wrong, though. It kinda snuck up on me.