Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:35 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

It is the grandest tradition of all time that, should a new Beverly Hills Chihuahua visit itself upon the world, MBMBaM shall celebrate its arrival. Come to us, brothers and sisters. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Suggested Talking Points: BHC3, Dad in Law Fight, 11:11, Jeezy in the Room, Burger Kingdom, Slowbro, Tat Prenup, 50 Shades

Episode 120 MP3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:51 pm 
New Sincericist

Is there an MBMBAM drinking game? If so, "take a shot anytime the Burger King Kids Club is mentioned" would be a great addition.

Unrelated: Can the McElroys take over Car Talk?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:43 pm 
New Kid

Personally, I think that you should name the children after Digimon, because this gives you the option to shout "DIGIVOLVE" at critical life moments. Graduation, weddings, birthdays, the possibilities are endless.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:06 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

I just had to make the Game of Thrones/BK/McDonalds goof a reality.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:49 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Oh, god, the Fifty Shades of Grey part was killing me. We already had to listen to Bryan read that same excerpt out loud over on Throwing Shade, and that was bad enough.

THWIBBIN' IT.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:49 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Your talk of Pokemon made me feel very old. Please discuss the Herculoids next week.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:03 pm 
New Kid

Re: the woman waiting for marriage. Like the brothers said, it's super important to be forthright and honest. But, keep in mind that sexual compatibility is important - if he doesn't want to wait, it doesn't make him a bad person, just not right for you.

Post subject: MBMB&M Retro Edition?!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:46 am 
New Kid

Are you guys on drugs? Helllll no you don’t need to ask your girlfriend’s father for permission or "approval" before you tell them you’re getting married. If you want to be really considerate you could maybe be like "hey, we’ve decided we want to get married! We would like to ask for your thoughts & support?"

I wouldn’t tell anyone else what to do, obviously if you want to play out some retro sex-role rituals you’re welcome to, but personally it would be a major turn-off bordering on dealbreaker if a woman wanted me to ask for her father (or her parents’) "approval" before we got married. It’s like up there with father-daughter purity balls or whatever, super creepy. Just my two cents

Also, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to have sex before you get married. It’s fine if you don’t want to, but it’s also completely reasonable for your boyfriend not to want to live that way.

IT’S TWENTY TWELVE YO!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 pm 
New Kid

Agreed! When the brothers were seriously discussing how to ask permission from a woman's parents for her hand in marriage, I was baffled. If my boyfriend and I ever decided to get married, it wouldn't be anyone's decision but our own. A man asking for a woman's father's approval is like saying the woman herself doesn't have any say in the matter; she's just property being exchanged. It's right up there with being "given away" by your father or the words "I now pronounce you man and wife" as opposed to "husband and wife." Creepy, sexist, and completely outdated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:49 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Maude wrote:
Agreed! When the brothers were seriously discussing how to ask permission from a woman's parents for her hand in marriage, I was baffled. If my boyfriend and I ever decided to get married, it wouldn't be anyone's decision but our own. A man asking for a woman's father's approval is like saying the woman herself doesn't have any say in the matter; she's just property being exchanged. It's right up there with being "given away" by your father or the words "I now pronounce you man and wife" as opposed to "husband and wife." Creepy, sexist, and completely outdated.

I'd just like to say that I think you're both being extremely culturally insensitive. It's fine that behaviors and etiquette may be different in your part of the country, but in what way does that give you the right to dimiss the beliefs of others as "creepy, sexist and completely outdated"?

I don't take umbrage for myself, I work on the internet and am as such pretty much unable to be offended, but to chastise those with different attitudes from yours seems pretty closed minded for a community that's supposed to be fundamentally opposed to precisely that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:26 am 
New Kid

Hey, Jesse, can you let us know when you know when the JJGo/Int'l Waters will be at the SF C&B Fest? I'm tied up on the 13th so I don't want to buy a pass and then have it turn out that I'd miss you all, but if you're gonna be on Thurs or Fri, I'll be there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei
http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Ascend-Y30 ... B00CKZRG7I

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:11 pm 
New Kid

Justin, I just want to apologize if I offended you or anyone else with my comment. I only post on forums when I feel like I have something important to contribute. My intent is not to upset anyone or to rant and disappear. And the word "creepy" is subjective and judgmental, and I shouldn't have used it. But I stand by my use of "sexist and outdated." I agree that the great thing about this community is that it's a place to be open and inclusive, and to generally just have a good time. But in the midst of the awesomeness that is MBMBAM I was genuinely upset by the realization that some men still ask permission from other men to marry their daughters, especially men as clearly great as the brothers McElroy. No matter what part of the country you live in, I think asking your girlfriend's father for permission to marry her is contrary to the belief that women can make their own decisions and that marriage is an equal partnership, which is what I hope most people believe.

I think this topic is particularly pertinent right now in this new wave of serious challenges to women's rights and to marriage equality in this country. Marriage in the U.S. was redefined in the twentieth century when most Americans' views shifted from it being a legal contract mostly for the purposes of control over women and procreation to an equal partnership founded around the idea of love, companionship, and mutual support (both financial and emotional). Marriages are no longer formed with dowries and contracts requiring certain numbers of children be born. Women are no longer objects to be exchanged beyond their control among men. They are now able to choose their partners for themselves and to live on equal terms with that partner.

For a man to ask permission from another man to marry a woman, it removes the woman from the equation. Under the guise of "tradition," it takes away the woman's agency as an independent, free-thinking adult and places the power in the hands of her father and future husband. This kind of casual sexism is a real problem and it subtly undermines a woman's self-worth and her value as a human being. For anyone who thinks it's okay for a man to ask another man for permission to marry his daughter, would you also think it would be appropriate for a woman to ask another woman for permission to marry her son? If this seems odd or uncomfortable, then the other way around should probably feel the same.

If a couple wants to go to either set of parents or to bring both sets of future in-laws together to formally announce and even ask permission on the couple's behalf, that's sweet and respectful. A marriage is about joining families, and the families should be involved. But to leave one's future wife out of the conversation is to leave her out of your relationship as an equal.

I hope this is clearer and calmer than my first somewhat reactionary post. In the interest of furthering the conversation, I am completely open to and curious about any opposing or differing perspectives or responses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:32 am 

Well-said, Maude!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:44 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Hey Maude, I think you make some fine points and I realize now that we probably should have been clearer with our terminology when we did the show. First off, neither Travis nor I were talking to just our future father in laws, we were talking to both parents. And "permission" is probably the wrong word, "blessing" was probably more accurate.

I think that asking a woman's father for permission isn't an idea I'd be comfortable with and obviously has a lot of sexist connotation to it. Hope this makes my position a little more clear.