Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:51 pm 
Staff

Jesse talks to Rob Delaney, one of the funniest guys on Twitter with over a half a million followers. He might prefer the virtual world because he’s so uncomfortable with the human body.
And co-host Julie Klausner talks to Nellie McKay who couldn’t hate the internet more. Plus, contributor Jordan Morris returns to the program to PUT AMERICA IN ITS PLACE ... by ranking its stuff.

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn: Nellie McKay, Rob Delaney, and Jordan Ranks America

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:30 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Co-host! A jarring but ultimately pleasant change-up. Something you're trying on for size, or just a temporary stint geographically necessary for some of the interviews these two weeks?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:20 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I really liked the co-host vibe! Jesse and Julie have a nice rapport. Great guests this week, too!

http://aspiringpolymath.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:42 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Loved this episode. Loved both interviews, always love Jordan Ranks America, love that this public radio show went from hip-hop recommendations to a Nancy Sinatra recommendation. This kind of variety and particular taste is why I support MaxFun.

So the cohost thing... is this a potentially permanent change? Is it a lot more work to record and edit sessions from two different geographical locations? I imagine having a host on each coast would expand guest possibilities...
In any case, I think it sounds great. The rapport between Jesse & Julie is delightful. I love Jesse's voice, personality, and point of view, but it's kinda nice to get a lady in the mix. Their personalities complement each other so well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:00 am 
Site Admin

The primary issue is that I'm not sure we can afford to pay a co-host. Or pay for the studio time in New York. To be perfectly honest, the show already loses money, and I sort of have to subsidize it through my other endeavors. It would be tough to add another employee.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:18 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Jesse wrote:
The primary issue is that I'm not sure we can afford to pay a co-host. Or pay for the studio time in New York. To be perfectly honest, the show already loses money, and I sort of have to subsidize it through my other endeavors. It would be tough to add another employee.

Every time you announce a new podcast is coming to MaxFun I hold my breath that it'll be How Was Your Week. Julie is one of my hugest influences and, based on the apparent success of #TipSpoony, I bet I'm not the only one who would probably be willing to increase their support to (or begin supporting) the network if you truly wanted Julie on as your permanent co-host.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

nowah wrote:
Jesse wrote:

Every time you announce a new podcast is coming to MaxFun I hold my breath that it'll be How Was Your Week...

All I can say to that is... talk to Julie, not me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:17 am 

I hate hate hate the new "happy talk" format. It violates the basic premise of TSOYA/Bullseye:

Jesse (or Jordan, or Julie) speaking directly to me about things that are awesome.

I don't mind Julie as a co-host, but the artificial "conversations" between segments are excruciating.