Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 pm 
Staff

Jessica gave away most of her possessions when she left for the Peace Corps -- including a video game system that went to her sister Eden. The system broke under Eden's care and she says she's not obligated to return a working system to Jessica. Is restitution due?
Judge John Hodgman Episode 79: Irre-console-able Differences

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:58 pm 
New Sincericist

This was such a great episode. The back and forth between both parties with the judge and bailiff was lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:50 am 
New Kid

I second what Alice said. I couldn't help but smile, hearing Eden's hearty laughter and observing the obvious affection the sisters have for one another (not to mention the affection Jesse has for the Wii's one and only Warioware title).

I've never posted to the Maxfun Forums before, but given that 2012 is drawing to a close, and the end of human history is near, I felt it was imperative that I share this with the rest of the world.

Also, I wanted to throw my hat into the ring for the competition to produce the best Warioware: Smooth Moves Fever novelty hit. It may take me a few weeks, but mark my words, Judge Hodgman, I won't let you down. And actually, I have several other comments to make related to some subjects that are dear to my heart (Nintendo, the basic principles of contract law, the longevity of consumer electronics products in the 21st Century, etc.) but that will have to wait for now, as I have some video games that need playing.

PS - I'm pretty sure the iPhone's autocorrect "feature" turns Hodgman into Hoffman not because Steve Jobs was a big fan of The Graduate, but rather because of the fact that the letters F, D, and G are so close to each other on the QWERTY keyboard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:35 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Eden should file an appeal (perhaps to Judge Justin Long) due to judicial bias (or perhaps incompetence). Judge Hodgman was clearly in the tank for Jessica from the get-go. I had hopes that he was merely setting us all up in order to pull the old switcheroo, but alas this was not to be the case.

The only evidence that this 2+ year-old Wii was in good working (i.e., not "janky") condition when delivered to Eden is Jessica's vague recollection that Eden had played it in her first LA apartment -- evidence refuted by Eden on the basis that the TV was "demens vetus". There was no evidence that Eden did anything to the system beyond normal wear and tear -- the judge said as much in his ruling. Despite his comic portrayal of Eden's hedonistic lifestyle in "Babylon", the actual evidence suggests that it was Jessica who was hauling the Wii around to parties and on road trips prior to loaning it to Eden.

While buying Jessica a replacement Wii would be a nice gesture, "nice" has nothing to do with justice.