It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:48 pm 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:30 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Man I feel so bad; I live on the other side of Lawrenceville and only lost power for a day. We were only 25% of the way towards neighbor-eating wolf-like behavior before the lights came back on. It was weird though, going from the mega socialness of maxfuncon to not even having work for three days. I found myself asking my guinea pigs what they do for a living and wondering why no one was sitting with me for meals.

The End

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:11 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

It doesn't surprise me that Jesse hated the original Matrix movie after seeing the second one first. I saw the first one multiple times in theaters but the second movie was so horrible that it ruined the first one retroactively for me. I never even bothered seeing the third. I keep thinking about going back and watching the first one again, but I don't want to squash my memories of it.

On the subject of people talking about it on a 'intellectual level' though, I think Coulton made a good point that Jesse must not have had many 'sci fi' friends at the time - I had more friends telling me why it wasn't revolutionary then why it was. Case in point, the movie Dark City.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:57 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I wanted to pull my hair out listening to all the hurricane stuff! That sounds like a terrible experience.

I have been through 3 hurricanes and lots of tropical storms, and I am like an OCD boy scout when it comes to preparedness. I just wrote this post today after seeing so many friends without power this week.

Also freeze dried meals are easier and taste better than canned goods and are similar in quality to regular frozen meals. Just pricer.

I'm no doomsday prepper, but a little bit goes a long way after a disaster! I've been helping Ebeth pick out a backup generator, and if anyone needs any help on this stuff hit me up. I enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:08 am 
New Kid

I have to jump in and defend Jesse on this one. I never saw the Matrix, but I have SO many memories of being cornered in college by people telling me about how intellectually amazing it was. Not stoners, but nerdy engineer types. He's also right about Avatar being the most boring movie ever.

Edit: Holy crap! I also saw Ep. 1 and 2, and am sick of everyone trying to get me to watch 3. Jesse Thorn, get out of my head!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I just watched Speed Racer for the first time last week and I thought it was absolutely tremendous. It did actually remind me of Babe: Pig in the City in a way. Not that the films are all that similar to each other (they aren't), but B:PitC was the last time I watched a movie with my mouth hanging open most of the time because I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

YOU ARE SO AWESOME RONNIE!!!! I could jump through this forum and hug you, but I will wait until May 31st, reluctantly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:24 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I just listened to this episode and it was awesome. I have not listened to JJGo since my daughter was born and I did not know how much I was missing it until today.

#1 I lived through this hurricane crap and it was terrible. I was so glad to have been at Max Fun Con, and I think it was warm memories of having been there and the rush of positivity and awesome that kept me from losing my mind. That and twitter. I had never really been into twitter. Now I am totally addicted.

#2 I wonder if the place that Jesse and Theresa took Simon apple picking is Terhune Orchards near Princeton. We took our daughter Melia there and she did all the things Jesse described, ate apples off the ground, loved the tractor etc. We have taken her apple picking 2 more times because she loved it so much.

#3 Thank you for saying how beautiful our much maligned state of NJ is. It is the most densely populated state in the US - if it was that bad, why do so many people want to live here?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:09 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle

I had the same feeling with the Matrix. Reloaded was terrible - truly terrible and poisoned my opinion of The Matrix itself. I rolled my eyes when I heard Lana talking about how they "deconstructed" what a movie could be or some similar bullshit on The Nerdist.

Apart from that, the Nerdist episode with all 3 directors was great, and while Cloud Atlas was flawed in some ways I enjoyed it quite a bit.

As for Star Wars, I'm still bitter about being talked into seeing Episode 3, which was only marginally less shitty than Episode 1. I never saw Episode 2. I'm also pretty much over Star Wars as a thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:09 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

If anyone is interested in a (pretty great) podcast devoted almost entirely to talking about The Stuff, look no further than the most recent episode of the Action Cast.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:20 am 

The honking/flipping off driver behavior is pretty much the norm for NY/NJ metro area even without hurricanes. It's constant horn-honking, and in Brooklyn (where I live) honking/swerving around happens in the event of: going the speed limit, making a right turn, stopping at a red light/stop sign and driving normally down a street. Sometimes accompanied by throwing trash out the window of your car.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:56 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

ebeth27 wrote:
#1 I lived through this hurricane crap and it was terrible. I was so glad to have been at Max Fun Con, and I think it was warm memories of having been there and the rush of positivity and awesome that kept me from losing my mind. That and twitter. I had never really been into twitter. Now I am totally addicted.

We in NYC for a week after MaxFun East for a visit, and twitter pretty much rescued us. We have nowhere to stay after our flight was delayed, and ended up staying with some amazing MaxFunsters we'd kept in touch with through twitter. I am also now totally addicted to it so I can keep goofing with MFCE people.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:58 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I did not know that Laura Linney was an actress. I only know her from when I watch Downton Abby and she says "I'm Laura Linney, and this is Masterpiece Classic." I just assumed she was the head of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

-- quote from Plato stolen from Donna Tartt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:57 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Both Star Wars and politics? We've got ourselves a real barn burner. Leg it!

The one thing I find fascinating about Star Wars episode three is that Tom Stoppard, the very nuanced and challenging playwright, apparently had a hand in it. I can only assume that he wrote all of the dialogue for the Emperor since that is some of the best writing in the entire saga.

Though I skipped Avatar, I found this New Yorker piece on James Cameron highly entertaining. It's almost as good as that failed joke that Jordan made about using his submarine for field trips.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 am 

I'm somewhat close to Jesse on The Matrix, even while acknowledging the cool visuals and finding the plot kinda neat, I hated hated hated the dialogue and that ruined the movie for me as a whole. I can still remember the point where they lost me, and it was that one lady (Switch, according to the internet) actually saying the line "it's my way or the highway" like that is a thing.

That said, the people who wouldn't shut up about The Matrix were one thousand times better than the dudes around the same time who *really* wanted to dig into Fight Club.