Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

We're joined this week by Tavi Gevinson, Editor-in-Chief of the online publication Rookie and actress and comedian Retta. Plus, we'll hear music picks from the AV Club and stand-up from Michael Ian Black.

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn: Tavi Gevinson, Retta, Michael Ian Black

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:09 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

This episode is jam-packed with wall-to-wall awesomeness. Tavi is enviably inspirational, and so is Retta! She's got some pipes! And it was great to relive that Michael Ian Black bit from MFC East.

http://aspiringpolymath.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:01 pm 
New Sincericist

Agreed all around. The Retta interview was especially entertaining as a Parks and Rec fan.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:30 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

"Because you know in your head that like the stupid thing that you're reading like you don't actually care about it, but you still click on it. And then it still stays with you in some way. And I would rather like surround myself with things that make me want to be a better person, or smarter, or interested in more things."

I thought Tavi Gevinson was one of the coolest, smartest guests ever on the show, and I was definitely inspired by the interview. Great meaty questions for both her and Retta, who was also wonderful (but I knew she would be) My favourite point in a Bullseye interview is when you hear a guest pause for a moment to think up a really great answer to a question they obviously haven't been asked before.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 am 
New Kid

Fantastic, fantastic, episode. The inspiration for a late night iTunes review that I will post tomorrow when I have god-damn internet (this post is an illusion).

Listening to the Retta interview... During the first clip of her standup, I could totally picture her mannerisms, based on her performances as Donna on P&R. Then the second stand-up clip came around, when Jesse brought up her singing on stage.

I got so excited that I had to unplug my phone from my car for a solid two minutes, wishing I wasn't driving so I could tweet about it or something.

Years ago I saw (on TV) the standup act that the classical (opera?) bit came from, but never knew who the comic was. To hear that lovely little bit of my past come back to me via Bullseye and a cast member of my beloved P&R made me unbearably happy. :D

And Tavi melted my heart. She reminds me of what I was like a dozen years ago. I miss it.

Just... yes. a fantastic piece of the universe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:00 am 
New Kid

Great episode, as absolutely always. It was very nice of Jesse not to respond to many of the things Tavi said she was getting interested in with "oh, so what you're saying it, you're a teenager." Which is what I was saying in response :P

Man I love the Outshot. Because it is Jesse, who is always breathtakingly real and insightful, being especially and specifically so, and often, almost in an Onion-like fashion (wow I sound pretentious), bringing a really moving amount of care and attention to something that is, dare I say it, "just entertainment".

After the Tory Maletia (sp?) joke, I turn off TAL. After the final interview, I turn off Fresh Air. Once I realize they're at the final credits, I turn off Radiolab. But on it happens not rarely (including this week) that I'll hear "And that's my Outshot", a possible cue to switch to the next JJGo on my list, and just keep listening, because I just want to take in more of this guy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:30 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Just catching up on this episode - Tavi is great! I love hearing a teenaged girl speaking enthusiastically about thrift shopping. It was especially poignant because my last job, (I'm a social worker / psychotherapist,) was at a residence for young adults, (18-25) aging out of the foster care system, and there was this one girl who did a lot of thrift store shopping, but most everyone else had to have brand new styles all the time. And that bummed me out because these kids were beyond poor - many were literally receiving $128 a month from public assistance - but they were blowing all their money in a futile effort to keep up. Plus they so looked down on the thrift store girl. But then, a super downtown fashionista type girl moved in and she also did all her shopping at thrift stores, so maybe she eventually made it ok for some of them. I'd like to think so.

To me, it's a lot like "crate digging" for record collectors; and I do a lot more crate digging than used clothing shopping simply because I'm 6'2, 220lbs and wear a size 13 shoe so it's hard to find stuff that fits...and I'm a record nerd. But the thrill of not only finding a rare gem in a crate of records for $5, and also imagining the story of who owned that record before - there's just no substitute for it. Even if mp3s sounded as good as vinyl, I'd still like to go crate-digging.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:22 am 
New Kid

I just listened to this now and it made my day. This is awesome and so much fun. :)