It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:02 pm 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I'd known Andy Wood and followed him for a while because of Bridgetown, but oddly never heard him before. Now I really like him and it sucks that he's in LA. Still very grateful for Bridgetown - it's an incredible fest that lets you see a lot of big names on the cheap as well as take a bath in local or lesser-known talent. I also walk by Float On all the time and am shocked every time it's still open.

The hipster chat was nice. I do like to say that the cost of a PBR is a good barometer for a bar - if a PBR costs what I'd normally pay for a beer, either the place is directly targeting assholes, or is a dangerously expensive place that inexplicably has PBR on its list. Sometimes both. On the other hand, Bar of the Gods has PBR for $1.50 on happy hour, which lasts until 8.

I'd read the article too, and all the complaining about being unoriginal and ironic made me think - when people were dressing like assholes in the 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's, were they doing it sincerely? I mean, you can't be ironic without being self-aware, so did people in sequined jackets or ankle warmers or zubaz really wearing that stuff sincerely? If so, I think that makes hipsters the LEAST annoying trend, at least until it started passing into (as you all pointed out) the phase where it stopped being ironic as people started copying the original hipsters. I remember the day my mind was blown as a teenager walking into Hot Topic and seeing a pair of pink plaid pants with safety pins in them for like $70 and realizing how contrary to everything about punk that was.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:49 am 
New Kid

Jordan's UCB show was sold out before I checked the website Monday evening! Raaage!

But I really enjoyed the hour(+). Breaking up the usual J/J/Guest dynamic can have a really interesting effect on the show. And while Jordan hosting sometimes means bud lite limaritas and silliness, this one was a little darker.

I posted on twitter about it being all philisophical and thoughtful and stuff.... then as soon as I hit send, there was a mention on the show about something going up somone's butt. I don't remember the exact context. But it made me laugh. XD True to form... true to form. :)

I'll have to listen again tomorrow when I'm less distracted by working on stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:30 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

RE: The UCB show. You should show up and wait stand by. Since it's just reservations there are always a fair ammount of no-shows.
http://losangeles.ucbtheatre.com/shows/view/1684

While I'm at it, here's the stand up benefit show I'm doing on Dec. 6th with David Keochner and Greg Fitzsimmons
http://westsidecomedy.com/show.cfm?id=199963&cart

And here's the GLBT sci-fi and comic con. I'm hosting an all-queer edition of the Tournament of Nerds on Saturday at 9pm.
http://bent-con.org/2012/11/19/saturdayprevie/

www.youtube.com/user/JordanMorris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 am 
New Kid

I reside in Portland and have also tried Float On and I'm not afraid to admit I strongly considered jacking it. It was actually incredibly relaxing, and the set-up couldn't be more conducive to masturbation. You're in a locked room, in an enclosed tank, sound leaks nowhere--it's essentially the safest space ever to explore your sexy parts. My problem was I'm very clausterphobic so it took me probably half my session before I calmed down enough to even consider it. By that time I was lucid dreaming and losing spatial awareness and generally feeling kind of loopy. Next time I assure you, I'll be better prepared and report back with a post-wank wrap up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:34 am 
New Kid

Yay, show notes.

Maybe I will don my winter coat and huddle on the street in front of UCB to beg for a seat, with only my winter coat and helm of hammered gold to distinguish me from the hobos.

I had hoped to remark that paired names (for couples) in my group tends to be male-first, but patterns of hard and soft syllables, rising and falling inflections, favors that order. For poetry. But you hobos covered that.

Anyway, I always like discussions about cultures and subcultures and the trend of popular things. I have a theory that "culture" as we know it is becoming more dismantled every day as the internet allows us to be much more picky about the media we consume, about the "influencers" we listen to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:11 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

I should mention that I write for UpUpUp and am rarely on stage. I'll be at the show, so if anyone comes, hang around after for a high five and post-show beer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:51 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jordan wrote:
And here's the GLBT sci-fi and comic con. I'm hosting an all-queer edition of the Tournament of Nerds on Saturday at 9pm.
http://bent-con.org/2012/11/19/saturdayprevie/

I really shouldn't be surprised this is a thing, but I feel like I've been out of fan communities so long that it took me by surprise and is delighting me to no end. Now I wanna travel back in time to the '90s to tell my high-school-age, gay, comic-book-store-working self that some day there would be an entire GLBT comic con. So awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:27 am 
Talent!
Talent!

Thanks for all the MaxFun love at the show last night! I was pretty proud of that one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:17 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

I liked this episode a lot! If you three ever need secondary (or tertiary) podcast projects, you should consider this lineup.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:09 pm 
New Sincericist

Since this is another episode that brings up your curiosity about orgiastic subcultures, I thought you'd be interested in this episode of the Sex Nerds Sandra podcast: http://www.nerdist.com/2012/03/sex-nerd ... hreesomes/

There is some unintended comedy in the idea that the podcast is meant to give advice to a wide audience, but these two are so deep into their subculture it's hard to relate. That's apparent even before they get to the "memorial orgy" for a late friend, who they named their fucking machine after.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:02 pm 
Thorn Family Blondie Brigade
Thorn Family Blondie Brigade

I always enjoy JJGo and I often relate to many of the amusing stories, but for some reason, I feel like this show was directed specifically at me. It seemed like every damn topic (in particular the serious ones) helped me think about & process things from my real life. Crazy. And thanks.

On the hipster thingie, I just wanted to relate an event that occurred just about a year ago, during SantaCon in SF. Our neighborhood was more than usually overrun by the santas, which I find completely delightful (and of course every year I swear I'm going to participate & then something comes up & I can't), but I found myself in a corner store a block from my home, where an honest-to-god hipster customer was complaining about it to the clerk, saying, "Dressing up as Santa Claus doesn't make you cute or clever." I admit, I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from saying, "Neither does wearing an ironic hat or braiding your goatee." I wanted to smack him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:36 am 
Talent!
Talent!

janey wrote:
I always enjoy JJGo and I often relate to many of the amusing stories, but for some reason, I feel like this show was directed specifically at me. It seemed like every damn topic (in particular the serious ones) helped me think about & process things from my real life. Crazy. And thanks.

On the hipster thingie, I just wanted to relate an event that occurred just about a year ago, during SantaCon in SF. Our neighborhood was more than usually overrun by the santas, which I find completely delightful (and of course every year I swear I'm going to participate & then something comes up & I can't), but I found myself in a corner store a block from my home, where an honest-to-god hipster customer was complaining about it to the clerk, saying, "Dressing up as Santa Claus doesn't make you cute or clever." I admit, I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from saying, "Neither does wearing an ironic hat or braiding your goatee." I wanted to smack him.

I was in SF this weekend (shame on you all for not coming to my stand up show BTW) and I think I saw SantaCon going on. I think when criticizing "hipster" stuff people often lump in stuff that's fun or funny, which is a shame because fun isn't shitty, it's fun!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

janey wrote:
"Dressing up as Santa Claus doesn't make you cute or clever." I admit, I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from saying, "Neither does wearing an ironic hat or braiding your goatee." I wanted to smack him.

Wait, Janey... braiding your goatee? Was he a hipster from 1993?

(PS: I agree.)