Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:53 pm 
Staff

Jason and Kenan are longtime friends who made a gentlemen's agreement when they were but teenagers. The person who could resist certain romantic entanglements for the longest time would win a sum of money for each successful (dis)engagement. Now Jason accuses Kenan of bending the rules to stay in the game. Who is right, and who is wrong? Only one man can decide!

Judge John Hodgman Episode 90: The Chastity Bet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:13 am 
New Kid

As a geeky man who is nearly 29 years old, grew up in Middletown NJ, and enjoys Hitchcock movies, I need to ask one question: why the heck wasn't I involved in this bet?

Considering that I am actually gay myself, I would have cleaned up all the prizes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:55 am 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

The best part was when the nerdy pursuits finally broke out and I was all like "yeeahhh we didn't do those specific things but I would have a comparable list of teenage nerdery that my friends and I did instead of getting ladies."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 pm 
New Sincericist

This might be exposing how dumb I am or how not well I was paying attention, but was anyone else confused by the terms of the bet and the levels of escalation?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:33 pm 
New Kid

I think Jason's strongest argument would have been this.

1) Kenan states that part of the reason for entering into a civil union was as an act of solidarity with gay and lesbian fellow citizens.
2) Therefore he is in effect saying that he will that his civil partnership is to some extent equivalent with the civil partnership of two gay men.

Now, when the friends made the bet, as I understand it, it was about not kissing girls, not sleeping with girls, etc. The bet was framed around a presumption that relationships would be with people of the female gender. As was pointed put on the show, there were a number of things they did not foresee. So one thing they did not make provision for was that one of the group members would be gay or discover that they were gay. Now - IF - subsequent to making the bet - a member of the group had came out, the terms of the bet for relations with girls would most likely to be said to apply to their relationship with men. So at the point a gay member of the group made out with a guy, or slept with a guy, they would be considered to have lost their part of the bet. A gay member of the group could probably NOT argue that these did not count, as the relationships were not with women.

Now, a gay member of the group might also have be said to forfeit the marriage part of the bet, when entering into a civil partnership with a man. And since, remembering point 2 above, Kenan believes his civil union to be equivalent to a civil union between two gay men, he should have to forfeit this part of the bet, at the same time a hypothetical gay member of the group would.

Or to put it more succinctly, if Kenan's act of solidarity is sincere, should he not forfeit his part of the bet at the same point a gay man would, if he entered into a civil partnership?