Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:43 pm 
New Kid

I'm not seeing this on my feed yet :-(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:15 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I think I am a prime candidate to be a preppy Grateful Dead fan. Please provide recommendations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:44 pm 
New Kid

This is essentially a Momentous Occasion, but I don't have the courage to call in and admit my role in witnessing it. I just really want to make sure Jordan becomes aware of this information.

I was on a website last week that has a section for gifs of sexy famous women that you're supposed to use for j/o purposes. One of these j/o gifs was from Game Shop. While Jordan was not the focus of the j/o gif, he was 100% in it. So internet dudes have surely done what internet dudes do while watching a Jordan Morris featuring gif. Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:12 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

gifseer wrote:
This is essentially a Momentous Occasion, but I don't have the courage to call in and admit my role in witnessing it. I just really want to make sure Jordan becomes aware of this information.

I was on a website last week that has a section for gifs of sexy famous women that you're supposed to use for j/o purposes. One of these j/o gifs was from Game Shop. While Jordan was not the focus of the j/o gif, he was 100% in it. So internet dudes have surely done what internet dudes do while watching a Jordan Morris featuring gif. Congrats!

HA! You should have called that one in!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 am 
New Kid

I always find it refreshing when the guest doesn't just go along with Jesse's super judgmental culture police rants.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:32 am 
Talent!
Talent!

gifseer wrote:

Please PM me link. Want to j/o to self.

www.youtube.com/user/JordanMorris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 am 
Site Admin

You know, I'm not so sure about this notion that playing guitar gets you girls. The problem lies in that it's so douchey to play acoustic guitar at a party. I've been asked to play at parties maybe five times, and I always turn it down in fear of being That Guy. But what's left? If you're alone with a lady at home, you're either friends or have been dating long enough that you're not going to need a guitar. If you're in a group social occasion with her, well, that's basically a party, so no luck there.

As far as I can tell, cooking is way better. Your skills are always welcome at house parties, and it gets everyone talking about something you did. Not so hot for a teenager, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:01 am 
New Kid

CL5 wrote:
I always find it refreshing when the guest doesn't just go along with Jesse's super judgmental culture police rants.

Yeah, right? That was a particularly strident rant against a seemingly arbitrary (albeit quirky) demographic. I would think that guys in bow ties would tend to be a bit more simpatico with people on unicycles and the like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I have to disagree -- I find guitar-playing to be an infinitely more annoying hobby than circus skill acquisition. This is because guitars make a noise, and if there's one thing I can't stand, it's having to listen to a noise that I didn't choose to listen to. Guys walking tightrope, juggling, and unicycling in public (as a good friend of mine does) -- I can walk right by them without looking at them, though I usually stop to watch for a few minutes, because that's what I call a good time. Guy playing guitar in public -- I have to listen to that. People learning guitar who live in the same building as you are especially bad. Sure, they can use headphones (if it's not an acoustic, which the hip instrument of choice these days seems to be), but I can still hear it, and once they get a couple of bandmates together, you bet they're going to be plugging in that amp and going at it. No THANK you. I have to say that I don't ever feel I've been juggled at, but I don't even have to go to somebody's band's show to feel I'm having the guitar played at me.

Now, that said, I'd never try to stop anybody from learning music. Music is good for you. But I'm sure going to be grumbling about it a lot out of earshot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

It's true, most motorcycle guys are super dorks who care more about looking cool than the hobby itself. Both the old chopper / cruiser guys and the young sportbike guys, and they are usually NOT good at actually riding them. They fall off all the time, they overshoot corners and get themselves killed, they drink when they ride, etc. I've been roped into charity rides by coworkers but they are too dangerous since you have 200 weekend riders all trying to show off with no space to avoid accidents.

I built an on-offroad bike for transportation (55mpg at 80mph!) I am still a dork however because it is covered in podcast and comic book stickers:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:05 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

One of my friends in high school was a juggler/unicyclist and toured during the summer with a circus and she was really great and apparently one of the top people in the region for what she did. Her talent, and our friendship still only deflected a really, really small percentage of how weird most of us found it that she did those things. We were all really glad that she was happy doing, and occasionally enjoyed watching her do it for really small periods of time....but mostly it was super weird and awkward to be around. I know that makes me (us) bad people, but there it is.

There's also a guy that rides a unicycle to work past my house most mornings and it's very obvious that it takes way more effort then riding a bike or even walking and one of these days I may clothesline him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Metaxy wrote:
You know, I'm not so sure about this notion that playing guitar gets you girls. The problem lies in that it's so douchey to play acoustic guitar at a party. I've been asked to play at parties maybe five times, and I always turn it down in fear of being That Guy. But what's left? If you're alone with a lady at home, you're either friends or have been dating long enough that you're not going to need a guitar. If you're in a group social occasion with her, well, that's basically a party, so no luck there.

As far as I can tell, cooking is way better. Your skills are always welcome at house parties, and it gets everyone talking about something you did. Not so hot for a teenager, though.

Uhm, being in a band?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:57 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Also, on Jesse's point of not being able to play sports at his age - I was in a very similar point with exercising however in our city there's several different 'social sports leagues' where people in the 30s play various different levels of sports. My wife and I played softball for several seasons and had a lot of fun. I've also recently started playing squash, which is really easy to pick up and you only need one other friend who wants to get into shape as well. There's plenty of people in their 30s who are looking to do sports at a recreation/exercising level rather than it being the douchey competitive thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:08 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jesse seems to have suffered deep psychological damage from being in a particular place and time that originated the deluge of fascination with circus arts as counter culture.

I completely get why this would have scarred him, although I really appreciated Eric's defense. I've been around the insufferable circus arts sorts, while also having some very sweet, lovable hippy friends who like to do devil sticks and various dances involving fire. It sort of reminds me of marijuana culture. I love marijuana and have some great friends who are really into it. But, those who make it their identity are insufferable.

It was after listening to Jesse on Totally Laime where he said 'lame' for the majority of items in 'Lame or Totally,' that I realized just how much of his persona is lovable curmudgeon. Normally such people are over 70. But, since Jesse's still young this grousing comes with a heady mix of jokes about orally pleasuring his co-host.