A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Hey MaxFunsters,

A few weeks ago we promised there would be a followup episode to delve deeper into one of the stories on our phenomenal "Live From Philly" episode.

The original "Live From Philly" episode is here:
http://risk-show.com/podcast/live-from-philly/

And this week's new episode is the followup, called "Transcendent" here:
http://risk-show.com/podcast/transcendent/

In this episode, Becca Trabin and I sit down to discuss what it was like for her to share her story of having a drug-induced breakdown and attacking her mother with a knife in her early 20s. Becca talks about the doubt and fear she faced in deciding to come out about such a difficult moment in her life in public. She considers the possibilities of turning the traumatic moments in our lives into learning experiences. She talks about how being open about this seems to have opened things up in some of her relations with others and how she consulted her mother about sharing the story along the way.

It's a real behind-the-scenes look at what it's like to share a risky story on our podcast. And it's really quite inspiring.

Thanks everyone,

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:08 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I approached listening to risk kinda apprehensively. I already have a number of storytelling podcasts in my feed and I wasn't looking forward to another. Additionally, I had stumbled across Risk about a year ago and only listened to about 5 minutes because I was in that same mindset. How can this podcast be any different than the Moth?

I was wrong, so wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:29 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

There's a bunch of little differences. The Moth has their producers go over a story with a teller about five times before the teller hits the stage. There are rehearsals and draft editing. There's certain Moth goal posts they want a teller to hit and they leave a big thumbprint. Also, the competitive nature of their weekly slams fosters a "crafting a story to win rather than crafting a story to tell the truth" vibe. When you hear what people cut out or added to their stories in order to win The Moth, it can be disheartening.

RISK! was born out of the fact that I was always told I was too this or too that to be a comedian that could appeal to a wide demographic. Either my mother, my agents and managers or my own superego were telling me I was too gay, too midwestern, too friendly, too raunchy, too much a stoner, too goofy, too old fashioned, too kinky, too homely, etc, etc, etc, to make it in the corporate entertainment industry.

So I decided to create a storytelling show where the entire point is to let your rough edges, your shadows, your iffier parts show. A place where you can be any goddamn way you feel like being in mixed company. No detail too X-rated, no moment too emotionally raw, no concept too politically incorrect. We are on a long journey. We plan to be around for many, many years. And we hope to continue to push that philosophy of our show, to see what light we might shine into corners you're not so used to seeing lit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:50 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Kevin Allison wrote:
So I decided to create a storytelling show where the entire point is to let your rough edges, your shadows, your iffier parts show. A place where you can be any goddamn way you feel like being in mixed company. No detail too X-rated, no moment too emotionally raw, no concept too politically incorrect. We are on a long journey. We plan to be around for many, many years. And we hope to continue to push that philosophy of our show, to see what light we might shine into corners you're not so used to seeing lit.

...and I felt all of that.
Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:49 am 
New Kid

Greetings!

Thank you for this powerful story, so beautifully and honestly told. When stories come from that personal, raw and honest place, is when they are most powerful.

Thank you Becca for your courage, you are an inspiration to all storytellers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:28 am 
New Kid

This is so heartwarming. Family stories like this just makes me cry. :(