Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Elizabeth brings this week's case against her husband Eric. Elizabeth and Eric make a living performing together; Elizabeth is a visual artist who paints on stage while Eric, a singer-songwriter, performs original songs. At the core of their dispute is a question of propriety -- Elizabeth objects to the use of swear words in Eric's songs as children occasionally attend their performances. Also, Elizabeth is intrigued and inspired by artists who see avoiding profanity in their work as a challenge. Eric, on the other hand, believes there is a place in art for profanity if its use helps the artist get a point across. Who is right? Judge John Hodgman decides.

John Roderick from The Long Winters lends the court his songwriting experience this week as an expert witness. John's most recent album is One Christmas At a Time, a holiday collaboration with Jonathan Coulton. For more signature John Roderick insight, you can tune in to his weekly podcast with Merlin Mann, Roderick on the Line.

Judge John Hodgman Episode 93: Rhapsody in Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:21 am 
New Kid

This might be my favorite JJH. Hodgman and Roderick critiquing the art of an adorable couple in love? I am so happy right now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm 
New Kid

I just finished this episode and the ruling is wise and justice was served.

However, the participants are crazy if they think a songwriter can only use the word "pissed" if they are firmly assigned to the punk genre. Are you really prepared to tell Elvis Costello or Jeffrey Lewis they can't use a word like that because it isn't "lyrical" (pretty)? Are you prepared to say big words are too high - schooley to Ted Leo? I liked the dissonant effects the Defendant was getting by putting those words in. Sometimes a little bitterness is needed to cut the treacle, as any good beer maker knows.