Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:19 pm 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:37 pm 
New Kid

Mandatory link at any mention of Left Behind.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:26 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

http://youtu.be/cOYbXeLTnf0

The Elvis/Home Alone video April mentioned.

www.youtube.com/user/JordanMorris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle

One million bonus points for using a Queen song instead of Elvis.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

In somewhat defense of the annoying atheists, most of the ones in America are unconsciously using "religion," and moreover, "Christianity" as shorthand for the American Evangelical movement which is, objectively speaking, the inbred, ultra-retarded descendant of Puritanism; it's basically a "literal" reading of scripture with absolutely no academic theological basis.

But yeah, those atheists are annoying. Great episode!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:49 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Oh snap, and you just played my momentous occasion - in response to the queries about how tiger and crane are contradictory, that is actually the point of having these two styles together in a single form. The tiger is about pouncing and clawing and the crane is more evasive and involves more precise pecks, (literally, you put your fingers in a beak-like formation for this style.) This makes it a versatile fighting style - kind of a yin yang kind of thing, I guess.

As far as the broadsword and weapons in our school go, I think it's primarily because it's a discipline that goes back a couple millennia. The weapons are less about practical self-defense and more about training strength and keeping an ancient art alive.

And Jordan, the one thing karate movies had right and the reason why my school is so badass is because I specifically sought out a school founded by an old Chinese man. Seriously. You have to do a bit of research, but the cool thing about it and the reason why I stick to kung fu to stay in shape is because you keep learning more and more stuff and feel like you're a part of something bigger and older than yourself. That keeps me coming back. I don't have the attention span to go to a gym and literally run to nowhere for a few hours a week.

New York Maxfunsters, if you're interested in studying martial arts, check out my school in Chinatown - http://www.hunggakungfu.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:50 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Yeah! A shout out for all those 3 Ninja fans out there. When these movies were out, I had two younger brothers (a youngest was soon to come). 3 Klenske brothers, 3 ninjas, the similarities never end!

It's good to know the 3 Ninjas franchise had a slightly larger audience than I thought. Not that these were good movies by any stretch of the imagination. Traditional Bruce Lee-esque shouts were somehow morphed into continuous shouts of"Aiyah!" Just three boys shouting the same exclamation for a whole movie.

Don't forget the sequels:
3 Ninjas: Go to Japan (you know, like the TMNT)
3 Ninjas: Save an Native American Tribe
3 Ninjas: Trapped in Theme Park (with Hulk Hogan),

Rocky, Colt, Tum-tum, brothers three. Also their Japanese grandfather is the Victor Wong (guy from Big Trouble in Little China).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:22 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I know this isn't really the place, but can I just say I'm more than a little tired of the "the atheists are just as bad as the religious people" argument? I think what people really mean is "I'm annoyed with the entire thing", which is fine, but isn't the same thing. Not even talking about murder in the name of God, staying just at the level of media and entertainment, I will start buying that argument once I have to flip past multiple channels dedicated to atheism and once I have to endure every second athlete expressing some atheistic belief. It's not my cause, but I understand an impulse to normalize atheism, which is, as noted in the episode, pretty much akin to Satanism in large parts of North America.

Okay, I didn't just say. I more than just said. But, I had to say a little bit.

I'm done now.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:47 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

concrete-tales wrote:
I know this isn't really the place, but can I just say I'm more than a little tired of the "the atheists are just as bad as the religious people" argument? I think what people really mean is "I'm annoyed with the entire thing", which is fine, but isn't the same thing. Not even talking about murder in the name of God, staying just at the level of media and entertainment, I will start buying that argument once I have to flip past multiple channels dedicated to atheism and once I have to endure every second athlete expressing some atheistic belief. It's not my cause, but I understand an impulse to normalize atheism, which is, as noted in the episode, pretty much akin to Satanism in large parts of North America.

The argument is more that annoying Atheists are just as annoying as annoying Christians. I think it's a given that there are a lot more annoying Christians in terms of pure number, and thus exposure. The guy that snorts and mutters something about fairy tales anytime someone mentions anything vaguely religious is still annoying.

And they certainly exist, I have one in my office.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:50 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Speaking of the Ancient Aliens discussion on this podcast I just checked out the classic Chariots of the Gods on netflix.
I really wanted to watch it mostly because it reminds me of those 70's TV shows like In Search Of.
The movie is not bad and is much less pushy with it's theories then Ancient Aliens. The music and overall texture of the film was great.
I also learned about Cargo Cults for the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Aestro wrote:
The argument is more that annoying Atheists are just as annoying as annoying Christians. I think it's a given that there are a lot more annoying Christians in terms of pure number, and thus exposure. The guy that snorts and mutters something about fairy tales anytime someone mentions anything vaguely religious is still annoying.

And they certainly exist, I have one in my office.

Fair enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:54 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

There is nothing more German than bad dance music. I can't think of a more appropriate sound track for a sausage place.

This is my internet
These are my twits

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:18 pm 

Dandy Fellow wrote:
There is nothing more German than bad dance music. I can't think of a more appropriate sound track for a sausage place.

I thought about that, but I think the weirdness is that it's a different type of German.

It'd be like a burger joint that constantly blasts Aaron Copeland. Two super American things, but not really congruous (fuck, I want to go to this burger place that I just made up now, I am really hungry for lunch).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I also liked hearing the movie Sidekicks mentioned. I remember being a freshman in college and my suite-mates had cable and they kept playing that movie and I remember watching it with my suite mate and being very amused by it, mesmerized by leading lady Winnie Cooper and realizing that I knew very little about copyright law because it really is practically a frame-for-frame facsimile of the Karate Kid.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:29 am 
Maximum Funster

Re: Netflix conspiracy documentaries.
I'm obsessed with Alive: Is Michael Jackson Really Dead? in which "investigative journalist" Pearl Jr. sits in front of a bookcase like the chief from Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and draws a bunch of unfounded conclusions that MJ faked his death.

So good.