Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:44 pm 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:27 pm 
New Kid

Having lived in Ithaca my entire life (I'm also currently a junior at Ithaca College) I can tell you that, while it is generally liberal-leaning and there are a few hemp stores downtown, it's not especially more of a hippie haven than most other college towns. It has its fair share of conservatives, both of the moneyed/private-school variety, and the work-and-live-on-a-farm "homosexuality is a sin" variety.

Either things have become a bit more moderate since Bowie graduated, or my notions of liberalism and conservatism are drastically skewed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

OK I can understand that there might be a difference in pronunciation of gerbil, but chipper-munk??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm 
New Kid

Eight wrote:
OK I can understand that there might be a difference in pronunciation of gerbil, but chipper-munk??

Haha my thought exactly. My theory is that Jesse’s parents just thought it would be kind of funny to teach him slightly incorrect names for all the small rodents.

Does kind of dovetail with his theory that city kids don’t need to know about animals.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

crystilogic wrote:
Eight wrote:

Haha my thought exactly. My theory is that Jesse’s parents just thought it would be kind of funny to teach him slightly incorrect names for all the small rodents.

Does kind of dovetail with his theory that city kids don’t need to know about animals.

Ha! You are right sir!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:33 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

since I'm from WA state, where you don't need a doctor's prescription for pot anymore... hypothetically, could I go into a California apothecary and just flash my driver's license, and they'd be like, oh, here you go? kind of like when Oregonians visit Washington and they don't have to pay sales tax?

I'm sorry Jesse can't have opinions anymore... but I imagine whenever he has an opinion, he can pass a note to Jordan, and Jordan can read it... it may be confusing if Jordan's own opinion clashes with Jesse's. Jordan would say one thing, then immediately contradict himself. Yet, overall, I think this could be a good system.

"chippermunk" is an adorable nickname for chipmunks! just like you call a bunny a "bun" or I call a penguin a "pingoo" or... you all get it, right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:51 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

What a great guest! Few guests get Jordan laughing as hard as John did. It really points to the value of improv training.

At risk of sounding like a Santa Cruz/Ithaca hippy, childhood farm animal books contribute to our misguided image of pastoral farming instead of the reality of factory farming and industrialized agriculture. To be clear, I'm not suggesting some explicit conspiracy where Big Agriculture bought up children's book publishers in order to entrench their agenda. Maybe Michael Pollan or Eric Schlosser need to make some more realistic depictions of the life of farm animals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:52 pm 
New Kid

I caught a mouse in my garage with a glue trap. It was alive and bloody from trying to tear itself free. I placed it in a plastic bag and then into the garbage bin. It was one of the saddest things I've had to do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:29 pm 
New Kid

I opened the toilet lid at my house not too long ago and there was a live frog inside. It was really big too. I had my son put on rubber gloves and let it go in the garden. I felt really bad for it but hopefully it has found a happy life in my yard.

Also, on this episode, Jesse talked about the little boy wearing Dora panties. Along those lines, I was having a manicure the other day and the woman in the chair next to me had a little boy with her. He was about 6 or 7 and she had his toe nails painted. It made me uncomfortable and then I felt bad for being uncomfortable and still can't decide how I should feel. Am I the worst?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

There was a severe mouse problem at my house last year and to defend my turf, I trapped our downstairs like a 1st Edition Dungeons and Dragons adventure. From these experiences, I've found that the absolute worst moments are when you have something trapped/cornered, it's still alive, and you only have a handful of tools at your disposal for removal. These situations bring about what I can only imagine is the sort of mindset needed to become a psychopath.

Example 1: Hearing the *CLACK* of a mousetrap followed by an alarming *click click* noise, indicating the mouse is still alive. My Emergency Problem Solving system identified that, in using traditional mousetraps, my original intention was to kill the mouse, not cripple it. There was a hammer within arm's reach. Problem solved. I am not proud of my robot brain.

Example 2: In a Mouse Hunt-like moment, one mouse had taken to lifting the peanut butter off of the mouse traps and running off, usually with Nathan Lane and I chasing after it. I had cornered this one in the bathroom behind a toilet. Emergency Problem Solving system noted that if I reached back behind the toilet with a shoe or something, the mouse could scurry off the other direction and out the door. If I were to walk away to get something practical, it would likely run away. I only had access to the cleaning products and spray bottles in the bathroom. Another item of note is that mice don't have eyelids. I'd explain exactly what I chose to do in the heat of the moment except that when describing it to a friend of mine at work, someone overheard me and tried to get me fired immediately. The more I think about it, the more I suspect that that person was in the right.

Last edited by TheFuzziestKitty on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:28 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I'm going to throw up
Why did I read any of this
Should I listen to this episode or am I just going to get upset by stories

The End

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I'm usually the person who clicks every link to everything ever but I think I've gotten a little smarter in my oldish age

The End

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:36 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I'm still hoping it's just a funny story about a cute chippermunk

The End

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:35 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

If you want to avoid the "gross" animal stories, just skip the Momentous Occasions.

Jesse without controversial opinions!? What will happen to the show? How will Jesse wage war against lettuce burritos? Who will take up the mantle?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:03 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I want to avoid sad animal stories
who am I kidding I'm going to listen anyway

The End