A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:47 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Hey folks,

We're super-duper excited this week because we've got the perfect introductory episode for newcomers to RISK!

This is our 4th BEST OF compilation, and every one of the five stories is a stunner. It's the classic RISK! mix of shocking, heart-warming and hilarious true stories, including one from the wonderful Lisa Lampanelli.

Here it is:
RISK! Ep 422 - The Best of RISK! #4
http://risk-show.com/podcast/the-best-of-risk-4/

It features a 400-lb man, a Buster-Keaton style freak accident, a lesbian furry orgy, a confrontation with a rapist, and a near murder turned into a moment of profound forgiveness. Not to be missed.

Spread the word! Send it around!

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 pm 
New Kid

I've now tried RISK! not and it is not for me. I listened to Greg Proops, best of #3, and part of Best of #4.

It seems to me, from this sample, that the show features a lot of famous, funny comedians telling stories that are boring, digressive, and poorly told. The last straw was the lesbian chick telling a totally boring orgy story that went nowhere and wasn't really funny at all. Maybe the storyteller thought just having kinky lesbians mentioned somewhere in a story was enough, and there was no need for anything actually funny or interesting to happen in the story apart from that?

Anyway. Sorry to be so negative, but it seems to me that RISK! is trying to substitute having "shocking" content (which isn't really that shocking- just drugs and sex) for stories that are funny, well told, and have some sort of point. These comedians would be much funnier if they were telling jokes instead of stories.

"If I cannot inspire love I will inspire fear" -Mary Shelley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:39 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

To each her own, I guess. I would agree regarding Greg's story for sure.

RISK! ain't This American Life; we already have one of those. It's going to be kinky sometimes, if for no other reason than Kevin curates it, and it's minimally produced - sometimes even to the point of meandering - to let the stories keep the focus. More often than not, this is a good thing. If you go into it expecting equal parts soul-baring confessions and raucous late night drinking stories, you're less likely to be disappointed.

For what it's worth, there are plenty of episodes that are more like what you seem to be saying you'd prefer - stories told by normal people who just happen to have something important to say. I'd recommend "The God Problem" and "The Third Man."