Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:17 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

We made a podcast for you! Sure, it's got some rough edges, and is made of macaroni, and is not a podcast at all but rather a piece of macaroni art. But still, a LOT of love went into it.

Suggested talking points: Favorite Oscars, Squatting, iButt, Dansexual, Big City Livin', Hot Topic Apocalypse

Episode 141 MP3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:46 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

Just finished the podcast on the way home from work and at the end you guys were talking about some sort of legal matter involving copyright. You said that you would post a link with more information, but I do see it.
Could you please post the link so I can help support my favorite podcasts?

You can follow me on Twitter or read my blog if you would like to see my nerdy ramblings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:15 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I found the advice about cities really heartening. Having just visited New York, I've been a little bummed about returning to a medium city. Good reminder about appreciating the cool things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 pm 
Maximum Funster

There's a patent troll claiming they own the concept of podcasting. They are going after a bunch of different podcasts, suing them over patent infringement.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/podcasting-community-faces-patent-troll-threat-eff-wants-help

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:49 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I will say, I think the place you live can kind of make you happy or not happy. And I mean aside from just, city, big city, rural, etc. There's subtle things that can do it. There's weather (of course JJGo had a few weeks ago had a discussion/diatribe about this but I think it's more complicated even than that), there's geography (I am always bummed if I'm not around a big body of water, so living in inland New England kinda blows), whether things are walkable or driveable or busable, presence or absence of Ethiopian food. People like different things in all of this (except Ethiopian food - if you say you don't like it then that's probably just a fib), and there IS a right or a wrong place for many people, even aside from what is going on there (job and friends and junk).

That said, the actual best place is Seattle.

This is my internet
These are my twits

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:56 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I just liked hearing somebody express an opinion on "where people should choose to live" that wasn't strictly "Move to LA or New York."

And of course, the goofs were gooftastic as always.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:43 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed the non-humorous discussion about where the dude should live. I am all for staying where you're at if you're happy there. I also like how you guys pointed out that moving to a big city to "make it big" as a musician is kinda dumb. I'd go further and say that the idea of "making it big in the music biz" was unrealistic back when people spent $15-20 on CDs. Now, it's preposterous. I think Jesse Thorn's "Make Your Thing" talks have had a lot of good things to say about how to monetize new media, and I think it's a lot more likely to make a living as a musician with that kind of mentality than to think you're going to move to Brooklyn and become the next big thing. This article, while flawed, had an interesting point about the "regional music scenes" of yore - http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/43235/our-band-could-be-your-band-how-the-brooklynization-of/ When I went to college in Madison, Wi for a couple years, I really got into a lot of the bands that came out of that region and fell in love with their sound and its uniqueness to the Midwest.

Also, I have lived in NYC for basically my whole life and, were it not for the fact that my parents are in their mid-70s, I'd have left here long ago. It beats you down into utter submission and makes you a hateful, miserable person.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:38 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I also really enjoyed the city advice this week--my husband and I are from Maryland, but right after college we moved up to New Jersey. Working in New York was good in a lot of ways (so many comedy shows!!) but we moved back to a beautiful, medium sized city in Maryland after 3 years and have been a million times happier.

There are fewer work options here but everything else more than makes up for that.