Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:54 am 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:20 pm 
New Kid

Yes, catalog stores existed...and I used to go to this one with my father quite a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQQbEaNxjA

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

hooray for Dana!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Jeez, Dana's story about "Parkyakarkus" is the craziest thing I've heard this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

If I may get nostalgic...

Whenever we listened to songs such as Rubberband Man where the lyrics seemed senseless, the focus immediately went to the beat and we proceeded to dance our asses off. That said, my siblings and I always thought that the Rubberband Man was a metaphor for something so incredibly awesome and mind boggling that language had failed the lyricist. In the end we deduced that this man must have been playing some super galactic instrument given to him by Funkadelic.

Here is an incredible version of Rubberband Man performed live with giant rubber bands ... awesome.

I think one of the best and funkiest songs that fit into the realm of shut up and dance is Peanut Butter by Lenny White. Funkiest sammich song ever.

Also, Jesse actually surprised me. I thought he was a kid that grew up around Hip Hop and fell in love with the genre. It seems that the love of Soul/R&B/Black music is generations deep. Pretty cool (and difficult to find).

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:26 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Yes! YES! Service Merchandise, motherfuckers! Loved going there with my dad, because it was so weird.

The UK still had these relatively recently. Argos, I think?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:25 am 
New Kid

The other catalogue store was Consumers Distributors. I used to get most of my Atari 2600 games there. Here's wiki details
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers_Distributing

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:54 am 
New Kid

At the risk of sounding like a spinster librarian, I just want you to know that Los Angeles has a fantastic library system: LA Public Library. You mentioned the central library downtown, but there are also branches all throughout LA County. In addition, we have the LA County Public Library, Beverly Hills PL, Pasadena PL, Santa Monica PL, etc.
I'm sure some of the branches have microfiche, but I hope you'll take advantage of everything else, including eBooks, Freegal (download 3 songs legally a week from Sony), movies, magazines, and more!

And finally, you guys (I mean Jordan and Jesse here) should consider partnering with LAPL for the Aloud series or Young Literati events. You'd kill!

Your friend,
Lindsay H.

ps I am the librarian who won the final vibrator at the live session at MFHQ last month!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:00 am 
New Kid

We had "BEST" on the east coast. My parents loved it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Products

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

rhorsman wrote:
The UK still had these relatively recently. Argos, I think?

UK Maxfunster here to confirm that yes they are still a thing here and Argos is correct.
There used to be one called Index as well but I think they went out of business.

http://www.argos.co.uk

It's just a store that sells all the same things that a huge store like a Target might (except not clothes or food, I think) but all the stuff is in a warehouse. Keeps prices way down. My TV came from there as wel las a bunch of kitchen stuff. I got Lego from there as a kid. It's an ok store.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:31 am 
Maximum Funster

Ann Arbor had Service Merchandise and a BEST within a mile of each other. Used to love those.

You could still shop the showroom like a normal store, and bring a little tag to the counter (like some OTC meds nowadays). I think I was too young to wonder (or even notice) why they operated differently from other stores though; too busy looking at the robots and BMX bikes.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 pm 
New Kid

For me, Rubberband Man was rescued from its office supply store jingle purgatory by the oft forgotten Detroit rockers Electric Six (remember them? Danger, High Voltage? Gay Bar? Yeah, they stuck around and made an album a year after that without anyone noticing, and most were more hit than miss!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQeefejlqQ (audio is Electric Six, mashed up with footage of The Spinners... pretty terrific)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

KevinInCalgary wrote:
The other catalogue store was Consumers Distributors. I used to get most of my Atari 2600 games there. Here's wiki details
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers_Distributing

I loved Consumers Distributing - also got my bike there. What's crazy is that it went bankrupt in 1996....basically the year the internet started to become a thing, which would have completely justified it's business model.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 pm 
New Kid

More on the death of Harry "Parkyakarkus" Parke.

http://www.invisiblethemepark.com/2011/ ... kus-parke/

Dana Snyder gained a million awesome points with that story. Hearing it through a slight Master Shake accent just made it better. And a Super Dave impression? I was listening via headphones at the grocery store and rewound several times. I had to find a spot to just lean over on my cart until I stopped shaking with (mostly) silent laughter.

Also, I humbly suggest making song analysis a recurring segment? My son has liked Rubberband Man since he was 6 or 7 (he's 13 now - yeah, I still let him listen) and I had to drop him off at school in the middle of that portion - he was still laughing as he went inside.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:41 am 
New Kid

In the history of JJGO, the segment about Rubberband Man (or Rubber Band, Man) just might be my very favorite.
:D