Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:11 pm 
New Kid

Chris brings the case against his sister-in-law, Jenna. For many years, their extended family has had kids and adults tables at holiday gatherings. Chris thinks that since the kids are all grown up, they should abandon the kids table. Jenna thinks the table should retain its sovereignty. Who's right? Who's wrong? Only one man can decide.

Listen to this week's episode!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Use a top sheet.

I, too, don't like being constrained by a tucked-in top sheet.. That's why i untuck the top sheet. You can wrap yourself in that and then the comforter. Problem solved. You shouldn't have any problem finding a sheet with fabric that feels at least as nice as your comforter.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I am a lazy person and top my bed with quilts that hang lower than the edge of sheets, so I don't need to tuck in the edges of the top sheet in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 am 

I didn't understand Jenna's weird obsession to be forever labeled the "kid's table." I mean, I get that maybe the people in her age group have a cutesy nickname for themselves, but are these dinners lasting a total of 10 minutes? At my big family dinners, we sit at a table and eat, and then when it comes time to just sit and visit, we'll talk some and then get up and move to a different part of the table if another conversation is going on. She made it sound like if they don't call themselves the "kid's table' and sit together that somehow her world will come crashing to an end. It just seemed like she was really clinging to something so insignificant.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 pm 

I've never thought of "the kids" or "the kids' table" as a cutesy thing. On my moms' side, my mom's generation has 5 siblings in it, plus spouses, and then my generation has 11 cousins in it, who (except for a couple of outliers) are within five years of age of each other, plus spouses and assorted other hangers-on now. We've always been the kids. The kids' kids are the grands. It's just what we all call each other.

We don't have a kids' table, though, not even for the grands. Even when we were little, there was a table that was the grown-ups table, which is where my grandparents and other adults sat, but then kids sat at various other tables with assorted adults.

On my father's side, we definitely had a kids' table and a grown-ups table, but that dissolved after my grandparents sold their home and moved into a condo, which shifted meal seating all around.

I wonder how or whether the Judge's only-child status affected his thoughts on this one.