Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:22 pm 
Staff

This week, Biz and Theresa get so sentimental talking about moms and motherhood that we decide to go straight to the source and call our own moms. (Oh, yeah -- and we spend some time blaming/threatening our husbands for not doing enough for us on Mother's Day! Of course.)

Episode 10: Mother's Day

What do you want for Mother's Day?

Discuss!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:27 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

You guys inspired me to ask my own mom (via e-mail) the question Biz and Theresa always ask in interviews: What did you expect motherhood to be like and how did the reality measure up to those expectations? While the views of more 'seasoned' moms have been well-documented this episode, I'm so grateful that the show helped me have this conversation with my mom that I thought I'd share some of the best parts.

(Back story: my mom has three kids, oldest in the workforce, middle child in college and youngest in high school)

"I always had hoped to have 3 children. This was probably based on the fact that I am a 3rd child and would not be here if not for my parents’ choice to keep going! I had a small (and by small I mean microscopic) view of diapers, high chairs and baby food because of my younger brother. I felt I knew what I was in for. ... but not really."

"I never dreamed that the moment after you have exposed every private part of your body and emotions to an entire group of strangers that you can be so over whelmed with true love and a sense of responsibility."

"I don't think before I had [my oldest] that I ever thought past when my kids graduate from high school, college and live on their own. I am a very, very fortunate mom because all of you guys are healthy and have the ability to think for yourselves and will all be productive in society."

"Motherhood in my eyes is a balancing act every day. Some days are balanced and others are not. When many unbalanced days build up in a row. ... this is when you wonder if it is all worth it. Then out of nowhere you get a look, a hug, a note or a compliment and all is in balance again."

Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:38 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I asked my mom the same question while we were in the car on the way to visit my Grandma! My sister and I are both adults.

My mom is one of 10 kids, but she's the 8th so she didn't have a ton of baby experience (and I'm actually the first grandkid on that side, so no nieces and nephews or anything). Number 10 was significantly younger than her, but apparently also she was a SUPER easy baby, so basically my mom thought it would be no problem. Whoops! Also, I was 2 years old when my sister was born and she said she thought she'd have a baby and a big girl, but she actually had 2 babies.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:42 pm 
Staff

These are so great! Thanks for sharing guys!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 am 
Talent!
Talent!

These are great!