Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

This week, Rhea brings an article showcasing the techniques that make Shane Black's screenplays awesome and Black himself a cut above the rest. Plus, Ricky shares the movie that made him, and we give a review of the action blockbuster Iron Man 3. Maybe you've heard of it?

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 8 - Shane Black's Rad Screenplays and Iron Man 3

DISCUSS!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I'm siding with Cameron on this one. I totally did not buy this movie on an emotional level. Are we supposed to believe that all of Tony's crippling personal issues are just magically resolved by having him participate in yet another explosion fest?

Paltrow aside, all the actors did a great job, though! I think three Favreaus is a perfectly reasonable score.

(I'd give the original Iron Man four Favreaus, and Iron Man 2 two.)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Gorblax wrote:
I'm siding with Cameron on this one. I totally did not buy this movie on an emotional level. Are we supposed to believe that all of Tony's crippling personal issues are just magically resolved by having him participate in yet another explosion fest?

Paltrow aside, all the actors did a great job, though! I think three Favreaus is a perfectly reasonable score.

I agree with you. I really enjoyed the movie, but their handling of Tony's PTSD bugged me too. His first panic attack was this heavy, intense thing, and the two subsequent ones were totally played for laughs. And then he was magically cured. It seemed like they were looking to take that storyline to a darker place and then changed their minds. And I really didn't get the kid. What was the point of the kid? He was adorable and funny, but that arc didn't really add anything to the movie overall.

(Still loved it because RDJ is a total dreamboat *swoon*)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:48 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

One of my formative movies growing up was Jurassic Park. Granted it's not the best movie of all time and it could have been that I was 6 at the time, but I remember being blown away by seeing realistic looking dinosaurs on the big screen. After that, I felt like anything was possible in movies which I think in turn inspired my love affair with the movie theater. Growing up, I spent summers going to countless movies (when they were cheaper). Now I'm not so sure I'd list Jurassic Park as one of Spielberg's better movies, but I can safely say it's one that had a big impact on me.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

If not for the hostage scene, you could have made the argument that there was no kid and Tony was just working some things out with his subconscious. I guess he's there because the magical wonder of children is the panacea for all jaded cynicism?

Regarding movies that made me: none, really. I had an utterly crappy taste in movies my entire childhood and only really developed any kind of taste in the past couple years. I think watching The Manchurian Candidate (Frank Sinatra, Angela Lansbury; not the Denzel one) five years ago awakened something in me that yearned for more.

Ugh. I have to go throw up now.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Just watched Barbarella to prep for today's Wham Bam Pow. It's amazing how quickly this has become my favorite show on the network -- strike me down for spouting such blasphemy, but I find myself enjoying it even more than JJGO. But back to Barbarella: I can not believe this was an actual thing that was made and can not WAIT for the review.

~~~AN ANGEL IS LOVE~~~

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 am 

Tiny Lindsay wrote:
Gorblax wrote:

I agree with you. I really enjoyed the movie, but their handling of Tony's PTSD bugged me too. His first panic attack was this heavy, intense thing, and the two subsequent ones were totally played for laughs. And then he was magically cured. It seemed like they were looking to take that storyline to a darker place and then changed their minds. And I really didn't get the kid. What was the point of the kid? He was adorable and funny, but that arc didn't really add anything to the movie overall.

(Still loved it because RDJ is a total dreamboat *swoon*)

The kid was my biggest gripe with the film. Everything else was about what I had hoped for/expected. I have to say, I know it's a film intended for all ages and families, but I get really tired of the "superhero teams up with/gets help from a kid" trope. It's tired and are we really to believe that someone who has their life together (like Stark) needs help from a 10-year-old? It's played out, screenwriters...move on from it.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:11 pm 
New Kid

The issue that bothered me was the number of suits that showed up at the last minute with no warning.

I think it would have been better to show a little bit about how Tony was making 5 special suits for specific situations, each with it's own personality, early in the film. Could have been used to show his "can't sleep, gotta be prepared" mental state.

Then, when they appeared, we would know what they were, and felt SOMETHING for them, instead of them being endless and anonymous. Tony would then have been able to be shown using them in smart ways, within limits, and with some sort of interaction with their 'personality'.