Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your Outshot
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:17 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I've always thought "So I Married an Axe Murderer" was an underrated flick.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108174/

It's very funny (my family frequently quotes from it), kind of a nice early-90s time capsule, and also has some pre-Austin Powers foreshadowing (Mike Meyers playing multiple characters, for example).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:32 am 
Site Admin

MisterRobarto wrote:
I've always thought "So I Married an Axe Murderer" was an underrated flick.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108174/

It's very funny (my family frequently quotes from it), kind of a nice early-90s time capsule, and also has some pre-Austin Powers foreshadowing (Mike Meyers playing multiple characters, for example).

This is the film best known for shooting a few scenes on 16th Street in San Francisco, down the street from my childhood home, right?

Right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:55 am 
New Sincericist

MisterRobarto wrote:

HEAD!!! PANTS!!!! NOW!!!!!

Balanced Systems Stimulate Civilizations

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:36 am 

Jesse wrote:
MisterRobarto wrote:

This is the film best known for shooting a few scenes on 16th Street in San Francisco, down the street from my childhood home, right?

Right.

Truly a love letter to your hometown, Jesse. I've had more than a few "Hey, that was in 'So I Married an Axe Murderer'" moments in SF.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:40 am 
New Kid

I've been enjoying Psycomedia, "a comedy podcast dedicated to the funny side of psychological research". Each episode has a topic and the hosts (they're British, so I guess I should say "presenters") discuss several psychological studies relating to the subject. The episodes feature a mix of interesting information and tales outrageous pre-ethics approval stunts by researchers. They often analyze the research designs, so the listeners get a better idea of just how far you can apply the findings to life in general, which is a refreshing break from how the findings of studies are usually reported.

I generally prefer starting things at the beginning, but Hurl Theoretical Mud at the Wall (an episode about Ramachandran) is pretty great.

http://psycomedia.wordpress.com/

Before the law stands a doorkeeper

Last edited by Parmenides on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:11 pm 

I recently found the folk album "Doubleheader" by singer Dan Bern. It's a collection of various songs about baseball and the slice of Americana it symbolizes in stories by legendary journalists that never agreed that baseball is just a game. Many songs depict legendary people, like in "The Golden Voice of Vin Scully" and "The Year-By-Year Home Run Totals of Barry Bonds," while others delve into the metaphorical aspects, as in "When My Buckner Moment Comes." The styles also vary in their influences from recent folk rock to a more New Orleans twang, although I admittedly know very little of folk music, so take that for what you will.

Take a gander here - [url]danbern.bandcamp.com/album/doubleheader[/url]

Also, any Giants fans will adore "The Sun Shines on McCovey Cove," not only for reminiscing of the recent championship, but for fitting the name F.P. Santangelo into a song.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:59 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

TheFuzziestKitty wrote:
I recently found the folk album "Doubleheader" by singer Dan Bern. It's a collection of various songs about baseball and the slice of Americana it symbolizes in stories by legendary journalists that never agreed that baseball is just a game. Many songs depict legendary people, like in "The Golden Voice of Vin Scully" and "The Year-By-Year Home Run Totals of Barry Bonds," while others delve into the metaphorical aspects, as in "When My Buckner Moment Comes." The styles also vary in their influences from recent folk rock to a more New Orleans twang, although I admittedly know very little of folk music, so take that for what you will.

Take a gander here - [url]danbern.bandcamp.com/album/doubleheader[/url]

Dan Bern also has some pretty funny songs, like one about having balls the size of Tiger Woods' swing or one imagining Anais Nin and Johnny Cash having a love affair.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Microblogging, as buzz-wordy as it is, has given a platform for a whole new creative genre of content. Most are meme-based and peter out as quickly as the popularity of the youtube video on which it was based, but some writers have chosen tumbler or wordpress as a way to develop the short story.

One of my favorites is Girls are Pretty. The almost-daily blog written by Bob Powers (@bobpowers1) features vignettes of people dropped in surreal situations (magical realism?) and squeezing real emotions from his characters. The titles of the posts usually pose each situation as a holiday or special occasion ("We Are Still Anal Bong Day!"), but what has won me over are his characters' raw emotions. Each one fears death less than they fear being alone, which is a theme regularly addressed. Someone usually dies, or comes close to death. They are usually sad or morbid, but touch on something deeper. Told in the second person, Powers' confident ethos immediately grabs me as the reader and twists my expectations with every paragraph. Here is an example from today:

Quote:
Your New Boyfriend Has A Laser Target On His Chest At All Times Day!

He didn’t mention it in his profile. You’re glad he didn’t. It might have deterred you from meeting him, and though it’s early, you’re starting to think meeting him is the best thing that’s ever happened to you.

“You don’t know who it is?” you asked on your second date, when you finally started discussing the elephant in the room.

“Nor do I know why,” he said.

You stared at the red dot as it flickered ever so slightly closer to his heart.

“How long has it—”

“Eleven years.”

“And he’s never once fired?”

Just once. It was late. He was in an unfamiliar neighborhood. He heard the shot and turned around to find a man with a knife in his hand dead on the ground. A mugger.

“He protected you,” you said.

“He wanted me to know my life his is to end. Not some mugger’s. His alone.”

You watched the red light flicker some more then you demanded he take you home.

That’s been the pattern. You stare at the dot on his chest until you’re so certain there’s about to be a gunshot that you can’t even breathe, and you need to be brought someplace a made love to as quickly as possible. It’s better with the dot. It makes you want to be as close to him as you can, so intertwined that you can feel the dot wander onto your skin too.

“I want to be with you to the end,” you tell him tonight, after.

“To the end?” he asks. “Or at the end?”

Both. One and the other. You need to be there when the shot is finally fired, when the dot finally turns into a bullet hole, when the gunman is (hopefully) finally identified. If that’s the main reason why you’re willing to spend the next fifty years with him, so be it. People have stayed together for a lot less.

Happy Your New Boyfriend Has A Laser Target On His Chest At All Times Day!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:30 pm 
New Kid

I'd like to recommend Doux de Montagne. It's a semisoft French cheese. It tastes great, and it's easier to manage than brie.

Before the law stands a doorkeeper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:36 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Since I saw them reappear on Letterman recently I can't get enough of The Heavy's new song What Makes A Good Man. So much pure joy, triumph, soul, sex and heat in this thing I can't stand it.

And I love Dave's perfect reaction to them so much. "BOY OH BOY! YEEEEEEESSSSS! WOOOWWWW! HEY BUDDY, NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN! I LIKED EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2N7fB0EDP4

R. Kamidees wrote:
One of my favorites is Girls are Pretty. The almost-daily blog written by Bob Powers (@bobpowers1) features vignettes of people dropped in surreal situations (magical realism?) and squeezing real emotions from his characters.

Nice !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Mladic: the first track on Godspeed You! Black Emperor's new album.

For those already on the Godspeed bandwagon, this likely does not need to be said. Many others likely consider the band the realm of pretentious assholes who shush you if you say anything while a band is playing. Undoubtedly, there are many insufferable people among Godspeed's fan base. When doing strictly instrumental music, there is a thin line between brilliance and wankery and most bands tumble over the line and then keep on blundering ever further away from brilliance. Godspeed does this sort of music better than anyone else.

I never got into their previous albums. I first experienced Godspeed live. It was in a small club and everyone sat on the floor. That sets the stage for pretension central, and my punk rock background had me prepared to hate it and everyone there. But, I was quickly mesmerized. Unfortunately, after that, the albums just could not live up to the total live experience. It has now been more than 10 years since I saw them, so perhaps the album is able to give me the taste of that experience that I have been looking for.

If you are at all into instrumental music, I cannot recommend the album enough; especially the first track.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:00 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Bumping this because I just spat out bourbon while watching Nathan for You.

Nathan for You is a show on Comedy Central starring Comedian Nathan Fielder MOSTLY going around trying to help struggling businesses. The four people that watched the incredible show "Jon Benjamin Has a Van" will recognize Nathan as one of the cast members. From the episodes I've seen, he's had some stunts like developing a poop flavored frozen yogurt flavor for a froyo (frozen yogurt) buffet, having a store that allowed attractive people to shoplift so they could spread the word about the clothes, setting up a Christmas in July Santa Photo thing in a mall. His dry demeanor is incredible.

My absolute favorite moment of the episode was when he was showing how you can ace any job interview with confidence by having different people feed him lines, and Jon Benjamin gave him the line "Hi my name is nathan, or you can call me by my nickname the n-word".

So please watch it so it doesn't get cancelled.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:01 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Gonna second Nathan For You. I can't get enough.

Also, I really like this show The Americans. It's two KGB spies posing as americans in the early eighties. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm 

[nerdy]Right now I am really enjoying the classic isometric style of a new free to play video game offered by Grinding Gear Games called Path of Exile. Path of Exile combines the classic top down look and feel of Diablo II with a sphere grid style leveling system as seen in Final Fantasy X in addition to a very interesting way of managing skills that can be likened to the materia system of Final Fantasy VII.

For my money (none), it's worth a good look.[/nerdy]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 pm 

I binge-watched the first two seasons of The Killing on Netflix instant recently. I found it to be wildly compelling. Season 3 just premiered on AMC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next