A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3D Movies
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:13 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

This past weekend, I experienced a 3D movie for just the second time [1]. My verdict? 3D sucks.

My first 3D experience was watching Avatar. I enjoyed the movie at the time, but suspect it won't hold up, so likely will hold onto my happy memories and leave it at that. The movie was quite visually stunning, if filled with many, many other problems. The visual enjoyment folded into the 3D, which was a gee-whiz novelty that I felt uncertain about after the movie. I'd gone into that experience with the mistaken idea that with the new version of 3D a viewer could remove the glasses and the picture would look normal. I learned that was not the case and quickly found the glasses claustrophobic and limiting. Rather than making me feel like I was in the action, they instead felt limiting like my experience was now limited to the tiny real estate of the lenses. Nonetheless, I'd enjoyed some of the 3D sequences of Avatar and had not fully made up my mind about 3D.

As a parent of young children, it's difficult to get out to see a movie, so it has taken several years to finally see another 3D film. This time it was Iron Man 3. When you're going to the movies as rarely as my partner and I you try to max out the big screen experience. That usually means high action. We thought 3D would add to the experience. The movie itself was 'meh.' It takes way too long to get to the action and I thought the action sequences generally paled compared to the first two Iron Man movies. But, I may have felt differently if I weren't stuck wearing those stupid glasses. The 3D aspects of the movie were entirely unnecessary and instead I was just left feeling uncomfortable.

I know I'm treading well worn territory complaining about 3D. But, I also know there remain 3D advocates. Where do my fellow MaxFunsters register? Anyone who is firmly in the '3D is fun and awesome and if you don't like it you're a giant stick in the mud' camp? Others who can take it or leave it? Anyone else want to rant about how fucking terrible it is? I'd like to hear all opinions.

[1] During the current wave of 3D resurgence. I saw a couple of 3D movies with the red and blue glasses as a kid.

Post subject: Re: 3D Movies
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:55 pm 
New Kid

I find that, when done well, 3D can be really good. Unfortunately, you do not often see it done well. My main complaint is that it makes the whole screen look really dim.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:19 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I'm not a very big fan of 3D movies for two reasons:

1) I think they're mainly a ploy by the studios to jack up the admission price even higher.

2) Most movies are shot for 2D and converted after the fact, which looks absolutely terrible. I think the last 3D movie I saw was The Hobbit and it looked cartoonish at times. You mentioned Avatar being the standard bearer, and I think it is rightly so due to the fact that James Cameron not only shot it in 3D but made a specific camera for it.

I think the conversion is the main thing that really messes up the final product. It's the same way digital music is compressed and you lose a lot of the initial sound quality due to all the compression.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:00 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

If 3D is specifically used for some artistic purpose, it has the potential to be an amazing experience and incredibly moving. I was lucky enough to catch Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams in 3D (due in no small part to Jesse's recommendation) and it was wonderful.

3D is just another tool in the box for filmmakers. It can be used purposefully and artfully, as in Cave. I also found the use of 3D in Coraline and Up to be effective. However, the vast majority of 3D movies are filmed normally and converted in post-production. It's essentially a gimmick and a way to artificially increase box office totals.

Basically, if a filmmaker chooses to shoot in 3D for artistic purposes, it might be worth seeing in 3D. If a film is converted in post, save your money.

Also, 3D is a pain for those who already wear glasses :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:59 am 
New Kid

We all know very well that there are many Movies that release in a 3 rd Dimension or 3D and many people likes to watch these kind of movies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I avoid it where I can. The one I was semi-interested in seeing in 3D and now regret missing is Drive Angry.

I saw a bunch of earlier-wave 3D at revival houses -- Creature From The Black Lagoon, Dial M for Murder, Kiss Me Kate. They were fun enough. I think I'd go see Hondo in 3D if that ever came around, but that's it.