Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Just so ya'll know, pretty much all popular websites have terms similar to Instagram... like Facebook. So if you're upset with Instagram, you pretty much have to get off every social network. If you're not paying for it, you're the product.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:19 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

God damn, Pizza Horse is the best thing.

This is my internet
These are my twits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I loved Poe, even if her first two singles (Angry Johnny and Trigger Happy Jack) were basically the same song.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:08 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I've been catching up on back episodes of TSPod and thought that Brian's points in Episode #78 (Jason Collins, etc) about how society is never ready for the change that's needed and, if it were ready, it wouldn't be so important were so great.

ALSO, I'm torn about which live show to go to! Obvs, DC is super close and the one I'll probably attend, but I want a dance party, damnit!

http://aspiringpolymath.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:48 pm 

Hooray for Kulap as the official third shade-thrower! I hope she comes back soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 am 
New Kid

Hope we get to see you all at one of the live shows since we missed you at MaxFunCon this year! Here's the link for tickets

http://www.throwingshade.com/tour

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:27 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

So things get pretty complicated on rural vs. urban and conservative Islam in Pakistan. Conservative, and especially more radical versions of Islam are actually quite common in the urban centers, because the most conservative people (not terribly unlike in America) tend to be the middle class - or at least, the middle class tend to be the most focused on these culture-war sort of things. And specifically, marginalization of minorities like Christians is most common in urban Punjab, not in the poorer places like Peshawar. Not to say the things you guys mention about the complicated ideas about sexuality in especially rural Pakistan and places like it aren't true, the anti-gay and generally conservative sentiment isn't necessarily the most focused there.

This is my internet
These are my twits

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:38 am 

Bryan y Erin, I want you to know that you are what I listen to falling asleep whenever I am lonely (I didn't mean for that to sound creepy). I'm off on the road on a business trip and I'm not used to falling asleep alone. Something about your perky goofiness is profoundly comforting to me, and your completely bonkers flights of fancy are perfect for slipping off into dreamland. Thanks for keeping me company on the road, Bryan y Erin!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:31 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I will probably be driving to Austin this Monday to testify before the Senate. As many Throwing Shade listeners are skilled writers and performers, i figured i'd ask your advice on my testimony.

We are only given two minutes to speak so i can't say nearly as much as i want. I could have gone the personal experience route, but i figured i'm more effective at appeals to rationality...even though they're anathema to the GOP.

Here's what i have now:

Quote:
Thank you, Senator Nelson and committee. My name is Ken Roberts and I am a constituent of Senator John Whitmire. I am against the bill.

I came here from Houston today because, I, like many others, feel very passionately about SB #1. Based on my many years of experience as a volunteer both at Planned Parenthood and with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault at the Houston Area Women’s Center, it’s clear to me that this bill would harm women.

I am not alone.

Given that the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, other MDs, clinic patients, and the majority of Texans are against this bill, the burden of evidence is upon the bill’s proponents to justify going against the medical community.

To that I ask, how many women’s lives will be saved by this bill…on a net basis? And at what financial cost?

Addressing the latter first, not only will patients incur additional costs from travel expenses, time off from work, increased facility costs, etc., but this bill will cost the state and taxpayers money.

Both sides should agree that SB #1 will result in more pregnancies going to term and that there will be more pregnancies overall, due to reduced access to birth control. This means more pregnancies paid for by Medicaid. Plus, there will be the additional costs as the unwanted, unplanned child is raised.

This bill costs all taxpayers' money.

And how many women’s lives will be saved?

Can someone cite how many patients this past decade who died during an abortion, would have survived had it been in an ambulatory surgical center?

In Texas, this will be significantly less than one per year.

And that’s not the whole story.

How many women will now die carrying their pregnancies to term…pregnancies that they would have aborted without this bill?

Germane to this analysis is that the maternal death rate of a full-term pregnancy is around 10 times that for a pregnancy terminated in the first trimester. Exacerbating this are the elevated and high risk pregnancies that will now be carried to term, when they would have been safely aborted without this bill.

SB #1 will kill women.

The proponents of this bill will be killing women.

They are killing women.

Why?

Because it will win them votes in a Republican Primary.

How is that moral, you obscenely hypocritical, coprophagic, motherfuckingly moronic, beautifully unique sparkleponies?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I may have to omit that last couple lines for time.

Last edited by luvrhino on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:06 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

You're a good ass dude, Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:34 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I just got back from testifying before the Texas Senate.

It went fairly well. My delivery wasn't perfect, but not horrible. I was the second pro-choice person to give public testimony (since i got there at 5:30 am). An interesting feature of giving the testimony so early was that many people of people were still watching and listening. Many people recognized me afterwards. They were universally complementary. I even had five or six anti-abortion people tell me i did a great job. Weird. It meant more to me that the staffers for both my state rep and senator were watching and recognized me.

I will say that much of me doing "great" was relative to other people who were testifying who weren't coherent and didn't address the provisions of the bill as much.

I did make some changes based on feedback that came from the Throwing Shade Facebook account. I'm pretty sure that was Erin. Thanks for that.

Anyway, a friend told me a picture of me testifying was on tonight's Rachel Maddow Show. If you want a rare shot of me wearing burnt orange, there's your opportunity.

ETA: There's five seconds of footage of me starting at the 3:36 mark. I even make eye contact with the committee a couple times, looking up from my papers.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rachel-maddo ... 9#52426409

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Bartoli is a fucking superstar. I've loved everything about her this past couple weeks.

The Inverdale comments about Bartoli are actually only among the worst things said at Wimbledon this year, which was just remarkably full of sexist bullshit. Someone said of Serena Williams that she was insufficiently feminine looking; during the finals, when Bartoli was pretty well in control of the match, the ESPN commentators started complaining about Lisicki (who was having a visible emotional reaction to the situation) not smiling like she usually does; and during the same match, the same commentators also referred to Bartoli as "not the most natural athlete" and more known for her smarts than her athleticism. This of a woman who went all of Wimbledon without losing a set, who just happens to not be either super skinny or super muscular. The whole discourse about women in tennis in general, and especially about Bartoli lately, is a disaster. It's made extra upsetting because it's one of very few sports where women's events are equally prominent with men's in terms of public coverage and prestige, and even still misogyny runs rampant in the culture.

This is my internet
These are my twits

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:57 am 
New Kid

**Attention MaxFunsters/MaxFunyuns**

I have 2 tickets to Throwing Shade Live in Washington, DC on August 25th and I can't go!

I'll be god damned if I let them go to waste so let me know if you want them - free of charge!
(I guess just do something nice for somebody that day, maybe hug your mailman)

B&E - LOVE the show, sad I can't get to see you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 pm 
Thorn Family Blondie Brigade
Thorn Family Blondie Brigade

Was it my imagination, or did this weeks show come to a pretty unexpected end?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:06 am 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

Mega Jessup wrote:
Was it my imagination, or did this weeks show come to a pretty unexpected end?

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was having a great time listening, too! Then again, my coworkers probably appreciated me no longer cackling to myself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next