It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:22 pm 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I really liked towards the end when Jesse was talking about how the show started out clean and Jordan casually and briefly refers to Mbmbam as "Peepums" without bringing it up again. I assume it's an inside name they have for it and I love it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

losergeek wrote:
I really liked towards the end when Jesse was talking about how the show started out clean and Jordan casually and briefly refers to Mbmbam as "Peepums" without bringing it up again. I assume it's an inside name they have for it and I love it.

Jordan particularly refers to them as Peepums. I often do the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:31 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Jesse wrote:
losergeek wrote:

Jordan particularly refers to them as Peepums. I often do the same.

That makes me happy - it makes it seem even more like a Dad/Big Brother type of relationship.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I bought a jar of cookie butter a week ago and 90% of it has been consumed via index finger. It's really good.

I loved the rotator cuff call because even if he had never mentioned it I think it would have taken fewer than 5 guesses to come up with him being a 50+ year old guy that just came out of anesthesia.

Rico Gagliano is great and Marketplace just got that much better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I think Jesse has this odd preternatural talent to tell Chicagoans to move to LA right after a local friend of mine has just done exactly that. Like within the month. Last time that he brought it up, it was Ken Barnard, and now it's Dan Telfer. Oh well, I hope the West Coast treats them right.

As someone who's lived in Chicago for almost his entire life, I can tell you that most people that I know here have moved from a place with a similar climate. Your Iowas, or Minnesotas, Michigans. I married an Ohio girl. They / we don't know any different. Also, if you like making art or doing nerdy indoor stuff, this place is the best for that. That's why a ton of comic book artists live here. It's going to be -10 degrees tonight (that's with the wind chill), but most of the people that I know have been around that their whole lives. It sucks, but you get used to it.

My cousin lives outside the Twin Cities, and while I don't think that's for me, I can definitely understand the allure. She's got a gorgeous two-story house (because, you know, it's affordable) that overlooks a lake. In the winter, people either ski or get drunk and have parties on the frozen lake. Some folks get in their cars and do donuts on the ice too. It sounds fucking crazy to me, but I would also pay to watch that. Preferably with a delicious, local Surly Beer in my hand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:46 pm 
New Kid

Redman said in an interview once that MTV wanted to rent a mansion for the day but he wouldn't do it. And then he over slept the morning that they were coming to shoot Cribs and didn't have a chance to clean up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, when Nick still lived in Chicago, I used to marvel at his real estate prices, and that's nothing compared to the Twin Cities.

Still, rare is the day that he doesn't make an offhand comment about how he can't believe it's so warm out :).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

When Jesse was setting up his experience with Rapaport, something about it made me think he was about to say how much he hated him and in that instant I was trying to figure out how to keep listening to future jjgo's while dealing with my scorn and resentment of Jesse. The sigh of relief I had when Jesse went the other way and had nothing but glowing things to say about the great man was my favorite part of the episode and allowed me to continuing another great episode with a very funny and enjoyable guest, though sadly I cannot seem to remember if he does any other work or has a podcast of his own that is available for download.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:41 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Jesse wrote:
Yeah, when Nick still lived in Chicago, I used to marvel at his real estate prices, and that's nothing compared to the Twin Cities.

Still, rare is the day that he doesn't make an offhand comment about how he can't believe it's so warm out :).

I was going to make an argument about how nice it is to have seasons and how great the beginning of spring is.....but it's -32º Celcius (-25.6 F) in Ottawa today so fuck that.

In all honesty though, growing up in St John's, NFLD which is actually pretty mild all year round....but constantly overcast....I'll gladly take a cold winter and hot summer as long as there is sun shining all year round.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:06 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jesse was also joking about how Chicagoans should bring their sausage-making skills to the West Coast, and it reminded me that Portillo's (a Chicagoland-based fast food chain, similar to In-N-Out in terms of quality) just opened a couple of California locations in the past few years. Has anyone eaten at a West Coast Portillo's? Was it filled with autographed photos of Sean Hayes and Jim Belushi (the patron saints of Portillo's)?

Honestly, Portillo's is my favorite "fast food" burger, and I'm wondering if it's just as good in California. Their Italian sausage and Italian beef sandwiches are pretty amazing as well. Their chocolate eclair cake is out of this world too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I live in Omaha and God do I love having a winter. You can say "Live in Dallas" but how often do you get to make a snowman or ride a sled down a hill in Dallas?

-- quote from Plato stolen from Donna Tartt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

When Jesse was saying how nice it was that it was seventy-five degrees after a week of temperatures in the fifties, I looked down at my car's display and saw this:

Attachment:
18.jpg
18.jpg [ 1.98 KiB | Viewed 1983 times ]

There's a lot to like about the Philadelphia area, but man oh man weather like today's is not one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Redman's episode of Cribs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:44 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

As warm as LA might be, almost everything I hear about the place on the various comedy podcasts I listen to make it sound like just about the last place I'd want to live. The live comedy available would be the main plus, but almost everything else makes the city sound like a dystopian nightmare. I'll take cold winters together with a decent public transit system every time.