Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Penny Arcade & JJGO.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Um, wow. Tycho most decidely did not have fun guesting on Jordan, Jesse, Go!

At all.

That must have been an awful one to tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle

I wish everybody who does stuff I like all liked each other as well and would all collaborate on awesome stuff together, but sometimes it is not so.

Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:23 pm 
Maximum Funster

Yeah came here to post that. I saw JJGo in the article and got excited, and then kept reading and was slowly creeping toward being scared. It seems like they didn't know what was going on, and were confused and bored? At the very least we now have a hilarious cartoon version of jesse to look at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:27 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Man, this a lot to wake up to. I fear listening to the show at this point.

That said, the caricature of Jesse in the comic is completely amazing.

This is my internet
These are my twits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:33 pm 
Jesse's Golden Eagles
Jesse's Golden Eagles

I am surprised that this wouldn't be a wonderful coming together. Bummer.

Post subject: Right??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:40 pm 
New Kid

Man, I was wondering what people would have to say about this... Pretty brutal stuff. And yeah, it is nice to think all the people you like would like each other... Would that make everything we like too much the same?
I really want to hear that show. And also I don't. But I will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:41 pm 

davin wrote:
I am surprised that this wouldn't be a wonderful coming together. Bummer.

I can see scenarios where it would be delightful, but I also find it pretty easy to envision scenarios where it wouldn't work at all, and unfortunately it seems like the latter happened.

While I don't doubt the awkwardness was genuine, however, it is also worth noting that even when the subject is something we like, PA's stock in trade is still largely wildly hyperbolic exaggeration for humor, so odds are good that this was merely awkwardness rather than some sort of forced death march.

I always get kind of a kick when people doing different internet things I like come together and do a thing or are pals, so this is definitely like getting the opposite of that kick, but that's life sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Here's what happened in a nutshell...

They're on book tour, and their publicist sent me a pitch for them. I said it wouldn't be right for TSOYA right now, but I knew they were friends of friends and perhaps they'd like to come on our podcast-only comedy show, Jordan Jesse Go.

Then my email went down (it was down the whole time the forum was down).

The publicist suggested a time, and Jordan agreed to it, not knowing my email was down. He mentioned it to me on Thursday, and I was like, "well, OK, let's do it," and I confirmed a time with the publicist for Friday.

They came half an hour before the time I'd confirmed with the publicist. She had suggested 1 and said they could push it back half an hour, I had confirmed 1:30 with her (which was the earliest Jordan could do). Their schedule said 1, so: not their fault. I thought they were just early until they mentioned that they were scheduled to leave at 3. (JJGo is usually a two hour record). I had rushed from a voice-over session in North Hollywood to be there and set up for the show, so it's possible I was a bit out of sorts, but our interactions were pleasant.

Meanwhile, Jordan got stuck in traffic coming from Fuel (which is about 40 minutes away) and was about 20 minutes late. They were playing with the dog, etc. While we waited, they asked me what kind of show it was, and I explained that it wouldn't be an interview, that we'd talk a bit about the comic and PAX, but mostly it would be them as sort of guest panelists on our comedy chat show. I told them we'd get them out by their hard out at 3, no matter what, and we did.

They apparently weren't prepared for the kind of show it was, or that it was at my house. They seemed a bit put off by the whole book tour thing. I dunno what to say. Totally our fault that Jordan was late, compounded by the publicist not updating their schedule. And as for the rest, yeah... I dunno. Wasn't our best show, but I didn't expect what I saw on their site.

We decided not to post it immediately because we're going on Carolla tomorrow, and wanted one of our better shows (like the Xeni show from last week) to be at the top of the list when Carolla listeners checked out JJGo. Not sure what we'll do with it now. I haven't talked to Jordan about it (he's at work), but maybe we'll put it up as a bonus episode or something like that. There's nothing I'm embarrassed about in the content of the show.

Last edited by Jesse on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:45 pm 
Jesse's Golden Eagles
Jesse's Golden Eagles

Jesse is always stoking the fires of controversy.

Edit: Just noticed the awesome note on the fridge in the comic. "Kill kill kill" etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:56 pm 
New Sincericist

Really sorry to hear that this didn't go well. I'd always assumed that this particular merger would be wonderful, and I think if Jerry and Mike had done a bit more research before the show maybe they wouldn't have been caught so unawares as to the tone of the show. If they really posted that news post and comic on their site without at least running it by Jesse first, that seems a little classless. But I suppose PA is known for speaking their mind.

Oh well. I guess these two great flavors don't go well together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 pm 
New Kid

What's sort of blowing my mind is the notion of Jordan and Jesse hitting it off better with Adam Carolla than the dweebs from Penny Arcade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I saw the comic first and thought that was awesome (there was nothing particular to suggest they didn't enjoy JJGo! in it, given it was in their usual style). It was a disappointment to read the blog post. Sorry it didn't work out Jesse, but I guess there will always be guests who don't get JJGo.

Post subject: JJGO & PA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:18 pm 
New Kid

Count me disappointed, but not terribly surprised. To be clear, I am a big fan of all concerned parties. That said, about 3-4 years ago when Jesse was asking for interview suggestions, I threw MC Frontalot out there, and was summarily scoffed at. As PA fans know, Frontalot performs at PAX, wrote the PA Theme, and is pretty much Penny Arcade in musical form. Not saying Jesse was rude or anything, just saying perhaps their sensibilities clashed a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 pm 
New Kid

Oh man! My dudes hate my other dudes!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:35 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

JJGo is not your typical interview show. If the PA guys showed up expecting a regular interview I can see how they'd not be prepared for what they got. Combine that with the mix up with the publicist and possible bad chemistry and things could go sour. It happens. I wouldn't feel compelled to post the show if it's not great.

While I like the comic on occasion I never cared for the PA blog's writing style and wont regret missing an interview with the two creators.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next