Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TSOYA: John Darnielle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:09 pm 
Staff

This one is really great, guys -- I'm not just saying that, either! Check out our interview with John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:28 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Aaaagh awesome! Maybe just the starting off with an old tape thing, but a lot like the similarly great Weird Al interview. Glad you finally got him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 pm 
Jesse's Golden Eagles
Jesse's Golden Eagles

I've been looking forward to this since Jesse announced it. "This Year" and "Michael Myers Resplendent" are so good it hurts. This man can really write songs. I was surprised by how deep his voice is when not singing! He kind of sounds like Weird Al when he sings.

There's very few "singing and guitar" artists that I can really get in to. Darnielle and Vanderslice are the best -- was glad to hear how the craft goes into things. Awesome interview. You get a real feeling of artistry and care from John.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:22 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle

davin wrote:
Darnielle and Vanderslice are the best -- was glad to hear how the craft goes into things. Awesome interview. You get a real feeling of artistry and care from John.

If you haven't already picked up their collaborative "Moon Colony Bloodbath" EP you should get yourself to either ebay or google and look for it (depending on whether you like rare vinyl or mp3s). It is basically the best thing. I wish they put it out in something other than limited edition vinyl so I could pay them for it.

Post subject: Yes!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:52 pm 
New Kid

So excited to come home and see that my robot had downloaded this for me. My favorite worlds continue to collide. Thanks, JT+JD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:54 pm 
New Kid

Fascinating interview. The only Mountain Goats album I own and have listened to straight through is "The Sunset Tree." That album is incredibly confessional and personally revealing, so I mistakenly thought that's what I could expect from The Mountain Goats consistently. Nice to find out there's more to discover with them.

Thanks Jesse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:59 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I've been eagerly anticipating this ever since Jesse announced it (and generally hoping for it for as long as I've been listening to The Sound) and it did not disappoint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:51 am 
Site Admin

By the way, a tip of the hat to our pal Rian Johnson who helped hook us up with John.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:15 pm 
Jesse's Golden Eagles
Jesse's Golden Eagles

Relaxatorium wrote:
davin wrote:
Darnielle and Vanderslice are the best -- was glad to hear how the craft goes into things. Awesome interview. You get a real feeling of artistry and care from John.

If you haven't already picked up their collaborative "Moon Colony Bloodbath" EP you should get yourself to either ebay or google and look for it (depending on whether you like rare vinyl or mp3s). It is basically the best thing. I wish they put it out in something other than limited edition vinyl so I could pay them for it.

I didn't even know that was a thing. That's amazing. That needs to be purchasable digitally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:54 pm 

Jesse wrote:
By the way, a tip of the hat to our pal Rian Johnson who helped hook us up with John.

Oh yeah, that makes tons of sense. Does anyone know if that "Life of the World to Come" era concert type movie he shot of the Mountain Goats ever came out somewhere I can buy or stream it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:50 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I love it when people whose music I am borderline obsessive about, are also very intelligent and insightful. This was a great interview, and Jesse dodged some of the more blase and common questions, and really got John talking, and expounding on some interesting subjects.

I have been a Mountain Goats fan since just before The Sunset Tree came out, and love that after 6 or 7 years there are STILL fantastic songs that I am discovering in his back catalogue.

Great get, and great interview Jesse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:32 am 
Maximum Funster

Nice to hear some Mountain Goats on TSOYA.

John's insistence on playing that Smog track reminded me how much I love Smog (even more than the Mountain Goats, but probably shouldn't admit that in this thread).

And now that I think of it, Smog/Bill Callahan would probably make for a wonderful TSOYA interview on his own. He has a new album dropping right now too. Some personal Smog favs: Cold Blooded Old Times, Ex-Con, Sycamore, A Man Needs A Woman.. and here's his npr Tiny Desk Concert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:53 pm 
New Sincericist

Never heard The Mountain Goats, but Mr. Darnielle used to run one of my favorite music discussion blogs at www.lastplanetojakarta.com. His early reviews of Norwegian Black Metal albums by Immortal or Marduk (who are Swedish) were awesome.

Balanced Systems Stimulate Civilizations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:39 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

BenMech wrote:
Never heard The Mountain Goats, but Mr. Darnielle used to run one of my favorite music discussion blogs at www.lastplanetojakarta.com. His early reviews of Norwegian Black Metal albums by Immortal or Marduk (who are Swedish) were awesome.

From that perspective you it might be interesting to check out some of the songs he's released about metal itself! There are more than this probably, but off the top of my head, "Marduk T-Shirt Men's Room Incident," "Satanic Messiah," "Sarcofago Live," and of course "The Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton" as mentioned in the interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:58 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I am in the middle of an epically, cartoonishly, awful shitfest of a year and I swear I sing This Year at least once a day. I've even taken to just singing, "I am gonna make it through this year if it kills me." at the top of my voice in especially fraught moments. It's like my own version of Serenity Now!