Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:07 pm 
Staff

In this episode, we are joined by SPECIAL GUEST and EXPERT WITNESS Morgan Webb of G4's X-Play. John argues that using a strategy guide when playing a video game is cheating, pure and simple. His friend Josef argues that while it provides an advantage, it's not out of line to use a guide and constitutes no cheating. Video game justice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:41 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

John would not be able to to finish the game if not for the power ups that Josef got for him using a walkthrough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:32 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

So amazed to hear a Mega Man X themed JJHo!

When I first played this as a child, there were no FAQs available online, and trial and error was used. Reaching the end of a level to find that that boss is way too hard with the weapons you have was part of the game. Learning the order of bosses that worked the best was a big part. Penguin, Eagle, Mandrill, Armadillo... etc. It is FUNNER to play with out FAQs, but it is definitely not cheating.

Well done Judge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:15 am 
New Kid

Loved this episode! This really is such a touchy subject amongst gamers... I think the judge gave a fair ruling... As always of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:41 pm 
New Kid

The ratio of "number of words spoken" to "amount that I was able to process" was exceptionally high in this episode. I'm just glad that there will be no follow-up comprehension questions. Still entertaining, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:12 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Excellent ruling. Cheating in general only really becomes an issue during multiplayer competitive play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 am 
New Sincericist

Dodongo Dislikes Smoke

Balanced Systems Stimulate Civilizations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:29 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

BenMech wrote:
Dodongo Dislikes Smoke

Hey man, don't go south without a candle.

This is my internet
These are my twits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:30 am 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

I've always felt that jumping to the strategy guide on the first playthrough ruins some of the joy for me personally. Especially in an RPG or a Mega Man style game, where there is a lot of trial and error or puzzle solving involved. Figuring something out on your own gives you a real sense of accomplish that I feel is lost when you play with a strategy guide.

Maybe it's not cheating in terms of gameplay. But I always found it cheating myself out of the experience intended by the game designers. Playing through a second time with the guide, in order to get all the hidden items or beat it in the most efficient way, feels even more fun after struggling through it the first time.

Hearing Judge Hodgman repeatedly and seriously mention Armored Armadillo was delightful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:06 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Top-notch Plimpton jokes. Top-notch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:23 am 
New Kid

Truly a Vanishing Gungaroo court.* An asterisk indeed.

I can't help but think that while the result might've been the same, the evidence and cases brought forth by both sides was woefully under-representative of what it means to be a jerk playing a Megaman game. Which game, specifically, was this? Both MMX1 and MMX2 were brought forth but only Armored Armadillo was named. Not even Boomer Kuwanger, evidently a clearly superior boss! Ladies and Gentlenerds, this makes all the difference. All the difference in the world.

How many heart tanks were acquired with and without cheating? Sub tanks? Armor enhancements? Can we even trust the basis of this proceeding when it was revealed only very late in the case that one man's success was seemingly only possible by the unscrupulous efforts of another?

The most important question of all that must be asked is this: did these boys attain the Hadouken? This question was clearly dodged and this matter hidden from the esteemed judge who dreamt only of his halcyon days of video falconry. It could be said for this issue and this issue alone that this matter is nothing more than inconclusive. I can't help but believe that Morgan Webb, too, knew of this and chose not to bring this glaring injustice to light, simply because she is bad at Megaman games and sought to conceal her own shortcomings in the realm of blowing robojerks up and jumping across shit.

These young men should be ashamed. They deserve their scarce high-fives and feelings of semi-worth and loneliness that can be achieved only through the act of video game "victory", if you can call it that, which I clearly cannot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:32 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I play video games to have fun, and I have a very limited time to devote to video games due to classes. The problem is when I get stuck somewhere, and instead of having fun, the experience is tedious. Understandably, a certain amount of time spent on problem solving is necessary, but I place the blame on the video game developers if an abundant amount of time is spent on tedious activity.

So I say that a guide is an okay sin when the enjoyableness of the game is at stake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Someone with Flash skills must make George Plimpton's Video Falconry. Now. Like, drop your child, run to the nearest computer, and forgo food and water until it is done.

That way, we can see Judge Hodgman as the bit-painted figure that gives text advice during cut scenes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:42 pm 
New Sincericist

janus1172 wrote:
...Figuring something out on your own gives you a real sense of accomplish that I feel is lost when you play with a strategy guide...

...Playing through a second time with the guide, in order to get all the hidden items or beat it in the most efficient way, feels even more fun after struggling through it the first time.

I second this. It takes away from the experience when you already know where everything is. If the game is good enough, it will warrant a second playthrough and use of the strategy guide or FAQ. I know it's nerdy, but that's why I play with a notebook, so that I can keep track of interesting areas and potential secrets that I can explore later, if I choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:05 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I was very disappointed by the snap-judgment in Pixar-as-part-of-Disney v. Pixar-as-separate-entity. In my opinion, Pixar films should only be considered Disney films also if they were released after the 2006 acquisition. I'm shocked -- *SHOCKED* I tell you -- that the Judge did not even bring up the fact that Pixar was not owned by Disney when it began releasing movies.

JJHo: "Whatever he might think about Disney movies, the two are one... I think he is trying to deny the reality that the two are one at this point."
I demand the judge clarify and/or recant this statement. It appears that HE is attempting to deny the reality that, while the two have been one since 2006, the two were two up until that point.

Thus, while one could presumably include Toy Story 3 in a top ten list of your favorite Disney movies, one could not similarly include Toy Story in the same list.

In the same way, Tata Motors is free to announce that some 2010 Jaguar is the finest automobile they make, but an automotive reporter would be foolish in describing a 2000 Jaguar as the greatest car Tata has ever made -- since Tata Motors did not own Jaguar at the time.