Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:50 pm 
Staff

Is it appropriate to ask a cab driver to take you through a drive-thru after a long night of drinking? Take a ride in the Justice Cab to find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Any time I'm in a dispute of any kind, I try to remember this simple maxim: "One man's Rashomon is another man's Berlin Alexanderplatz."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:23 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jesse wrote:
Any time I'm in a dispute of any kind, I try to remember this simple maxim: "One man's Rashomon is another man's Berlin Alexanderplatz."

So true. As I understand that, it means that two things that mean different things to two different people can mean the same thing to a third person. Nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:55 pm 
Jesse's Golden Eagles
Jesse's Golden Eagles

The Judge was very aggressive in this episode. Judge Hodgman is agitated by the coming May 21st apocalypse and the formation of his squad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:06 pm 
New Kid

Is anybody else having issues with the podcast files? This is the second episode in a row where it seems that the feed file has reported a length shorter than the actual audio file, so if I shuttle or pause somewhere after the reported length, it figures it's immediately at the end and stops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:34 pm 
New Kid

I agree with the ruling on whether the driver of a car gets total control. I just think the primary reason why the driver shouldn't have total control is that if you're the driver then the passengers are guests in your vehicle and you should always try to make your guests as comfortable as you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:59 pm 
New Kid

There is some missing information here that deserves to be mentioned.

There are a TON of cabs in Encinitas, many more than the actual population of the town can support. They sit for hours in front of the bars waiting for customers, and cater exclusively to the completely hammered clients. They have nothing better to do than take you to Wendy's. Also worth note is that there is a Denny's right across from the Wendy's that is far better for late night drunken feasting, as well as the fact that it's open 24 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 pm 
New Kid

Having grown up in Encinitas, I am amazed to learn that there are now taxis that you can hail just sitting around ready to go.

There were always enough drunks to go around.

Ah, the old days -- when the Lumberyard was an actual lumber yard, Hansen's was a quaint little surf shop, and there was no development to speak of east of Crest Drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

What if you hail a cab and you're in a race that one might describe as "amazing". Is is cricket to ask your hack to come along on your quest for a million smackers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:03 pm 

Man, these combination Pizza Hut/Taco Bells must be a strong Brooklyn presence. Alternatively, perhaps Judge Hodgman is a Das Racist fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:14 pm 
New Kid

Jesse wrote:

"Homer, you liked Rashomon."
"That's not how I remember it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:38 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Okay, I realize I may be outing myself as a certain kind of tipper here, but I think this needs to be said: 70% tip? Are you INSANE? And a five dollar tip on a five dollar ride... What? THAT IS A 100% TIP. THAT IS NOT RIGHT. That's not a tip at that point, that is a gift.

I have no problem with wealthy playboys slipping service employees a twenty here and there, but when your standard tip is so high YOU ARE MAKING EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD LOOK BAD. In Japan, you don't tip, you just pay a little more for a meal, and everything is so much easier. It's like a huge stress is lifted from you every time you pick up a check.

For pretty much every service profession (hairstylist, waiter, bartender, delivery guy), people, here's the rule: 20% is a good tip. 15% is a minimum. 30% is a maximum. Every time you go over 30%, you're making yourself look good at the expense of everyone else.

Twittering as Chompy Duchamp...