Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02 pm 
Staff

DVR WARS! Strife between two friends -- over DVR recordings. If Anthony requests that Joseph record television programs for him on his personal DVR, is he obligated to come over and watch them?

Judge John Hodgman Episode 41: Out of REC-order

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:36 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I like that the Judge spent the first eight minutes berating the two grown men about their nicknames.

It was kind of crazy how unreasonable Anthony was. Also, has he not heard of torrenting and such? And if his cousin is on the show, she could probably request some DVD's of her appearances on the show. Pippin is an exemplar of reasonable friendship.

Also, the profanity was delightful.

PS: Obsolete is a synonym for "outdated," but I still agree with the Judge. UNNECESSARY NERD CORRECTION!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:41 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I was actually kind of worried about how good this episode would be, based on how completely one-sided the argument appeared to be. While it remained unreasonable to listen to why Big T (or Bro-Shrode, or whatever) would just not watch the show or let it be deleted, Judge Hodgman doing a Gordon Ramsay impression is the best thing of the day. Best of the month so far, certainly. Truly awesome stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

kingsley_zissou wrote:
It was kind of crazy how unreasonable Anthony was. Also, has he not heard of torrenting and such? And if his cousin is on the show, she could probably request some DVD's of her appearances on the show. Pippin is an exemplar of reasonable friendship.

Agreed, he sort of came off as a dick, even though I'm sure he is a nice person normally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:52 am 
New Kid

Something I made today at work... rather than working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:41 pm 
New Kid

I must say, the torrent of profanity spewing from the honorable judge's mouth was what one would call a "Laugh Out Loud" moment, in the literal sense of the word. I had to take a moment to steady myself against the sink in the midst of dish washing.

However, I must note that while the veritable cloud of profanities emanating from the judge must have been painstakingly reviewed and censored, a wayward "shit" did poke its way through the defenses at 21:21. It would not have even registered its presence if not for the brilliant bleeping of the remainder of the podcast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:23 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

elk wrote:
However, I must note that while the veritable cloud of profanities emanating from the judge must have been painstakingly reviewed and censored, a wayward "shit" did poke its way through the defenses at 21:21. It would not have even registered its presence if not for the brilliant bleeping of the remainder of the podcast.

I mentioned that to Mr. Hodgman himself after his Asheville book signing, and from his response I really couldn't tell whether that one expletive was accidental or on purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:59 am 
New Kid

Jesse's interjections are often my favorite moments of JJH

"It's not that weird Judge-- I have a younger brother named Q and another named Godspell"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:46 pm 
New Kid

I had no idea who was who by the middle of the show. There was something like twelve people and four voices. I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:54 pm 
New Kid

ctznalien wrote:
I had no idea who was who by the middle of the show. There was something like twelve people and four voices. I don't know.

Yeah, that was a problem for me too