Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:15 pm 
Staff

It's here! It's here! The very first episode of Bullseye. Pop culture picks from the AV Club, the song that changed Dan Deacon's life, castmembers from the totally unstuffy costume drama Downton Abbey and comedian and showrunner Chris Lilley. Listen in and tell us what you think!

BULLSEYE: The AV Club, Dan Deacon, Downton Abbey and Chris Lilley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I really, really like the way you guys have subtly tweaked the pace. The AV Club segment was cut together really tight, and I can see some of the elements Jesse's been talking about on Gweek and elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:29 pm 
Jesse's Golden Eagles
Jesse's Golden Eagles

This is a really phenomenal show. It feels like TSOYA++. Basically the same flavor as TSOYA with a more tight feel. Love it. Now we have to recommend it to EVERYONE.

In particular, the way the show opens feels great. Hope that style continues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:19 pm 
New Kid

The arrow sound effect between segments is killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:35 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Did anybody else think the tag between the Dan Deacon segment and the MBMBaM ad that Jesse said Public Ladio International?

Not sure if my iPod just derped twice, or a minor mistake that can maybe be taken out of actual radio broadcasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:24 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Sorry for the double post:

Is there any difference in the Donor Feed now? I noticed a higher bitrate, I'm wondering if there is any other difference? Does subscribing to the regular feed help out enough for iTunes and such to make a difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:44 pm 
Staff

jimbobvaquero wrote:
Did anybody else think the tag between the Dan Deacon segment and the MBMBaM ad that Jesse said Public Ladio International?

Not sure if my iPod just derped twice, or a minor mistake that can maybe be taken out of actual radio broadcasts.

The mispronunciations of Public Radio International will continue as long as Jesse can think of new ones. We left that for continuity with TSOYA. :)

jimbobvaquero wrote:
Is there any difference in the Donor Feed now? I noticed a higher bitrate, I'm wondering if there is any other difference? Does subscribing to the regular feed help out enough for iTunes and such to make a difference?

Since we're podcasting the radio feed now, I believe they're the same? And I would recommend subscribing to the regular feed, since I'm not sure what the fate of donor feed is... Thanks for checking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:50 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Julia wrote:
jimbobvaquero wrote:

The mispronunciations of Public Radio International will continue as long as Jesse can think of new ones. We left that for continuity with TSOYA. :)

For all the request not to email in answers/complaints about jokes, this seems like a questionable choice.

Are the podcast interviews the full version or have they been cut down in size for radio? I seem to remember some discussion relating to this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

The podcast versions of the interviews aren't raw tape, they're edited, but there won't be a longer version unless there's some reason for there to be one. If there's a show where we're cutting stuff for time rather than content reasons, we'd probably leave it in the podcast version and cut it from the radio version. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The TSOYA on the Radio feed will be phased out, since it's essentially just a high-bit-rate version of the other one, unless folks really care about the bit rate part. Just subscribe to the regular version, and we'll get around to announcing the phase-out soon, we just haven't gotten to dealing with that yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:23 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

It was very nice and you should all be very proud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:41 am 
New Kid

I suggested "Public Labia International"

http://99percentinvisible.org
-and-
Program Director + Host
Public Radio Remix from PRX
http://publicradioremix.org

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:53 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

This whole thing was really, really awesome. Nice job putting "Fuck 'Em" on the radio!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:35 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Oh man. You guys, this is tremendous. Jesse's epilogue may or may not have threatened to draw a little tear, but that also may or may not be due in large part to the fierce pride that I have in the whole MaxFun empire.

Imaging and general show stuff aside, the content was GREAT. I'm a brand new convert to Downton Abbey, so that interview was great to hear, and I watch this video daily. Yay Bullseye!

They're not Craxworth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:50 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I loved it; a great first outing for Bullseye!

Just as I knew, you guys delivered with the changes, rather than making things not awesome. I think the new format is a great step up, public radio-wise. Also, I was very glad that "speaking into microphones" made the cut. I think I would have been super sad if I didn't hear that at the end.

Great job, Jesse (et al.)!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:54 am 
New Kid

The faster pace is fantastic. I must confess, actually used to feel like TSOYA was dragging at times, and it was kind of a turn-off. I listened only for the guests, not the show itself like I did with JJGo. The subtle change with Bullseye makes a huge difference. The higher energy to the show is addictive.

When Jesse announced the changed I was really crushed, too. Hearing the old name on PBS at some point (I think I saw him talking about it when I was a kid) was the whole reason I checked it out. After hearing the first episode, I couldn't be happier.

Foreal, I'm totally jonesing.

PS. Seconded re talking into microphones. Best way to do a talk show, imho.