Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:01 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle

Guys, don't worry, Fallout New Vegas features a wide variety of plants to gather and you can use them to create both potions AND poisons.

That's the only important thing discussed on this podcast, right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:01 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Because the issue of the ups and downs of political compromise was so hot on this one, I'd like to share this:

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/article/2 ... ffered-dir

That is what compromise looks like. And it is wonderful.

Incidentally, I actually think, contra what Jesse said, that the problem with hypocrisy charges is that they ARE an emotional ploy. We have visceral reactions to being called a hypocrite, and it's that reaction that so thoroughly derails debates when the word is tossed about as liberally as it is. I think appeals to logic are fine, as long as they're done in a productive manner along with substantial arguments. It's a funny thing really, as here, the appeal to consistency is really an ad hominem attack.

What I'm saying is, Jesse you are right but take it easy on the logicians.

This is my internet
These are my twits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:59 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Eliza was a very funny guest and this was a very engaging and entertaining episode.

I mean it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:33 pm 
New Kid

Which picture of Michael Cera are we talking about?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:19 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Gosh, I love you guys, but some of these jokes are just getting to be too much. One week you're making jokes about "ladyboys", the next it's furries, or talking about how "weird" asexual people are. You're generally liberal-minded folks, but you're making jokes at the expense of transgender people and people's sexual orientations. Yes, they're different from us heterosexual cis-gender males. But is that a good reason for them to be the butt of jokes?

I know it's a comedy podcast, and you're comedians, but that's no excuse. And it doesn't excuse it just because you don't mean any harm, or even if it's the funniest joke ever told. Just like it doesn't excuse people making rape jokes. We live in a culture where these people are constantly being victimized, from having jokes made about them, to as serious as being beaten up in the streets or dragged behind cars. It all stems from a fear of the misunderstood. But as well as you may mean in your heart, these jokes play into this culture. Little by little, it serves to turn these people--their lives, their bodies--into a punchline; something flip, not to be cared about beyond a laugh. Why should we care how it affects them, as long as it makes us laugh, right?

I know you listen to Never Not Funny, so you're no doubt aware of recent instances where they said things that offended the transgender community. In proving just how much of a stand-up guy he is (no pun intended), Jimmy took what people said to heart and has made serious attempts to change his mindset, to be more sensitive and understanding of the community. I hope you guys will take it to heart, as well, and think about who you're hurting when you make these jokes, and why. You can be just as funny without adding to the insensitive culture I'm sure you actually disagree with.

Besides, you've always got your own cocks to talk about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Olliver wrote:
Gosh, I love you guys, but some of these jokes are just getting to be too much. One week you're making jokes about "ladyboys", the next it's furries, or talking about how "weird" asexual people are. You're generally liberal-minded folks, but you're making jokes at the expense of transgender people and people's sexual orientations. Yes, they're different from us heterosexual cis-gender males. But is that a good reason for them to be the butt of jokes?

I think Jesse's and Jordan's tolerance bona fides have been pretty well-established. In any case, Jesse is the sort of person who would express more disdain for, say, Beastie Boys fans than for practitioners of snakehandling, furry sex, and other atypical phenomena. That's what I've gathered from listening, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:02 pm 
Thorn Family Blondie Brigade

Eliza Skinner is a great great example of the way "yes and" works and, considering that my thoughts about Merrill Markoe not fitting in because she didn't seem to be on board with "yes and", this episode was very refreshing and delightful, as well as being funny and FUN.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:31 pm 
New Kid

mike wrote:
I also kinda hope that the new MaxFun podcast could be Yallbegone Pond.

I will second that suggestion. If someone isn't already broadcasting the Alabammy Comet, someone should soon. What better place than here?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:24 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Olliver wrote:

I know it's a comedy podcast, and you're comedians, but that's no excuse. And it doesn't excuse it just because you don't mean any harm, or even if it's the funniest joke ever told. Just like it doesn't excuse people making rape jokes. We live in a culture where these people are constantly being victimized, from having jokes made about them, to as serious as being beaten up in the streets or dragged behind cars. It all stems from a fear of the misunderstood. But as well as you may mean in your heart, these jokes play into this culture. Little by little, it serves to turn these people--their lives, their bodies--into a punchline; something flip, not to be cared about beyond a laugh. Why should we care how it affects them, as long as it makes us laugh, right?

I know you listen to Never Not Funny, so you're no doubt aware of recent instances where they said things that offended the transgender community. In proving just how much of a stand-up guy he is (no pun intended), Jimmy took what people said to heart and has made serious attempts to change his mindset, to be more sensitive and understanding of the community. I hope you guys will take it to heart, as well, and think about who you're hurting when you make these jokes, and why. You can be just as funny without adding to the insensitive culture I'm sure you actually disagree with.

Besides, you've always got your own cocks to talk about.

I understand the need to be sensitive towards people/groups who get a lot of shit in general society. I do think there is a difference between making jokes "about" something and making jokes "at the expense of" something. In the case of the the ladyboy remark, I feel like that joke is just about the phrase "thai ladyboy" and I don't feel like it makes any judgements about the transgendered/queer community. I kind of feel like our furry conversation(s) were more "about" furries rather than "at the expense of" furries. I don't really remember our whole conversation. I'd go back and listen to it, but I find the podcast insufferable and offensive.

www.youtube.com/user/JordanMorris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:03 pm 

oh JesseJesseJesse

this just happened to be posted on Another Site today and of course I thought of you immediately

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the- ... f-drowning

For yall too lazy to read the central theme is the self deception of martial artists, here's a snippet..

Martial artists are often slow to appreciate how their beliefs about human violence can be distorted by their adherence to tradition, as well as by a natural desire to avoid injury during the course of training. It is, in fact, possible to master an ancient fighting system, and to attract students who will spend years trying to emulate your skills, without ever discovering that you have no ability to defend yourself in the real world. Delusions of martial prowess have much in common with religious faith. A crucial difference, however, is that while people of faith can always rationalize apparent contradictions between their beliefs and the data of their senses, an inability to fight is very easy to detect and, once revealed, very difficult to explain away.

There may be no case more perplexing or egregious than that of Yanagi Ryuken, a purported master of aikido. Master Ryuken apparently believed himself capable of defeating multiple attackers without deigning to touch them. Rather, he could rely upon the magic power of chi. Video of him demonstrating his devastating abilities shows that his students were grotesquely complicit in what must have been a long and colorful process of self-deception. Did these young athletes actually think that they were being hurled to the ground against their will? It is hard to know. What seems certain, however, is that Master Ryuken came to believe that he was invincible; otherwise he wouldn’t have invited a martial artist from another school to come test his powers.

Here is the master in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... dUxPLIJVgI

...and here is his belated encounter with physical reality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jf3Gc2a ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:18 am 

Is DC Pierson the hippie dude in the Allstate ad? I love that dude!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:21 am 
Site Admin

smartbunny wrote:
Is DC Pierson the hippie dude in the Allstate ad? I love that dude!

yup.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:26 pm 
Maximum Funster

Olliver wrote:
Gosh, I love you guys, but some of these jokes are just getting to be too much. One week you're making jokes about "ladyboys", the next it's furries, or talking about how "weird" asexual people are.

I completely understand and appreciate your desire to defend people with different orientations and preferences. In most cases the world could use more people willing to do this, but in this one you seem to be erring on the side of hypersensitivity.

First, neither Jesse nor Jordan at any point said that asexual people are weird. That's taken completely out of context. There was a comedic premise there where he (Jordan) was suggesting that he would be rendered asexual and weird by the ungodly trauma of seeing a lewd text accidentally sent to him by his own mother.

Second, "furry" is not an orientation, it's a fetish. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but to say that poking fun at it is inappropriate is a bridge too far. Would you be upset by the same joke if you were to replace "furry" with "trampling" or something else? Again, there was a comedic premise that he would either be completely sexually neutralized and psychologically damaged by getting a sext from his mother, or that he would end up having to up the ante to feel anything anymore by getting into a very specific, uncommon fetish.

I've never been the "political correctness is out of control these days" guy, but... Again, I know your intentions are good. It's important to know when and with whom to pick those battles, though.

Last edited by CultusObscurum on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:26 pm 
New Kid

I agree with that. I would also point out that J and J didn't actually say anything offensive about furries, as far as I could tell. They seemed to treat the topic with respect. Maybe there was a bit of an incredulous tone, but I think that's acceptable when talking about something as out-there as furries. I don't think anyone's going to argue that being attracted to cartoon foxes is hard-wired into someone's DNA the way homosexuality is. To me, being a furry seems like a harmless fetish. If someone said, "Furries are a lower form of life," that would be offensive; but just saying (or implying), "Furries are a little strange," isn't. You can call someone a little strange and still have respect for them. People do that to me all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:08 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

janey wrote:
oh JesseJesseJesse

this just happened to be posted on Another Site today and of course I thought of you immediately

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the- ... f-drowning

Not only that, but Jesse has had both Chris Gethard and Dominic Dierkes in his life and yet he still hums and haws about which non-punching-based system he could enjoy studying?

C'mon Jesse. If it's good enough for Al Bundy ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next