Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:22 pm 
New Sincericist

Fellow Max Funsters,

Just posted this weekend's Podthought, on Benjamen Walker and the Guardian's The Big Ideas. I thought I'd start this thread as a way to keep you apprised of the Podthoughts coming down the pike (I've heard some people mainly like to read reviews of podcasts they've already heard so as to "compare notes," so now you can listen to the shows in advance of the review) and to keep things open for future Podthought suggestions.

Without further ado, here are the podcasts I'll Podthink about in the coming weeks:

The KunstlerCast
The Truth
The Bike Show
Other People
The Portland Adventure Hour

But keep those questions, comments, and suggestions comin'. Thanks!

Last edited by colinmarshall on Mon May 14, 2012 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:01 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I think you do a superb job with these write ups Colin, but I don't think you do a superb job at providing an easily alphabetically searchable list of previous entries. I'm sure a few peeps would find it handy.

The only suggestion I'll shoot right now is a long shot since it's a request for you to take a second look at the "pure, blissful sonic setting" of Mike Duncan's "strangely, almost unsettlingly enthralling" The History Of Rome as it completes its run as perhaps the most epic podcast in podcasting history (or at least the one which feels the most epic) nearly three years since you first wrote about it. At its bittersweet finale if there's one podcommentator I'd love to see (re)cast his ear over Duncan's mammoth achievement it's you.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:46 am 
New Sincericist

A fine idea! I just did something a little bit like that for Open Culture, if it'll hold you for the moment.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:56 pm 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink about The KunstlerCast, a weekly conversation with novelist-urbanist James Howard Kunstler about "the tragic comedy of suburban sprawl." Any and all feedback and suggestions welcome.

Coming up in Podthoughts:

The Truth
The Bike Show
Other People
the SHed show with Andy Dick
Ask Brooklyn
The Dana Gould Hour

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:34 am 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink about The Truth, a series of sound-oriented radio fictions. Can it usher in the new (and long-awaited, at least by old-time radio geeks like myself) golden age of movies for our mind and ears? Any and all reactions and suggestions welcome.

The Bike Show
Other People
Ask Brooklyn
The Dana Gould Hour
The Champs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:36 pm 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink about The Bike Show, "a radio show on Resonance FM about bicycles, bicyclists and the transcendental pleasure of bicycling." I touched on the program before when I wrote up Resonance's "everything" podcast, but my cycling-intensive Los Angeles life has brought me right back to it.

Other People
Ask Brooklyn
The Dana Gould Hour
The Champs
Excess Baggage

Any and all reactions and suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 pm 
New Kid

Hey Guys,
I realise that it is a bit cheeky to suggest your own podcast for Podthoughts but I am opting for complete transparency rather that getting a chum to recommend it.

I do the Salle Pierre Lamy podcast with my chum Bryce, I see it as a department store style podcast (Not in a boring/ having an argument with your partner kind of way) with stuff for everyone.
We focus on Games, Science & Videos but I think there is more to it than that which I can't fully explain.

If you could I would be delighted if you could have a listen and let me know what you think.
http://sallepierrelamy.com/
Thanks again guys,
edgar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:33 pm 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink about Other People, the literary WTF. Do you find podcasting a particularly effective medium for book culture? And come to think of it, do you find any medium particularly effective for book culture these days?

Ask Brooklyn
The Dana Gould Hour
The Champs
Excess Baggage
La Casa Rojas
It Came From Japan
Blank on Blank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:12 pm 
New Kid

I'd like to hear some Podthoughts on another Resonance FM show, Little Atoms.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:51 pm 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink about The Portland Adventure Hour, although it's really a half-hour, but a half-hour filled with Portland-related gab and interviews. Does the dream of the nineties retain its power in our post-Portlandia reality? How can Portland-based creators achieve recognition outside the Portland sphere?

Ask Brooklyn
The Dana Gould Hour
The Champs
Excess Baggage
La Casa Rojas
It Came From Japan
Blank on Blank
Little Atoms

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:12 am 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink about The SHeD Show with Andy Dick. Of course Andy Dick has a podcast. And of course it's a bit askew. But it does get me wondering about the seat of the man's appeal, especially considering I haven't seen any of his "real" work.

Ask Brooklyn
The Dana Gould Hour
The Champs
Excess Baggage
La Casa Rojas
It Came From Japan
Blank on Blank
Little Atoms
Here's the Thing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:20 am 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink about Ask Brooklyn, a series of interviews with Brooklyn-based experts: beer managers, meditation teachers, distillers, wellness consultants, research librarians, doulas. I think this one might prove especially helpful for the ladies, but if you dudes get something out of it too, speak up.

The Dana Gould Hour
The Champs
Excess Baggage
La Casa Rojas
It Came From Japan
Blank on Blank
Little Atoms
Here's the Thing
The Urbanist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 pm 
New Kid

It's almost inconceivable that Colin would be interested in covering this particular podcast, but I'd love to see him take on BBC's The Danny Baker Show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/dannybaker

Here are the reasons Colin will not be interested:

1) It's an edit of a radio show.
2) It's a phone in show.
3) The subject is (supposed to be) football.
4) It's British, and deals with British topics.

However...

Danny Baker considered a genius of radio by many in the UK. It would be fascinating to know what Colin would make of it. It's not really about sport. Typical topics for phone-ins are, "where have you hidden?" or "have you ever been in a footballer's house?"

I have no interest in football, but listen every week.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:02 am 
New Kid

Seconded! Danny Baker is the bee's knees.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 am 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink about The Dana Gould Hour, which hybridizes segment-based "production" comedy podcasting with gab-based conversational podcasting. Seriously, that existentialist Bukowski Goofy repaid all the time I invested listening and then some.

The Champs
Excess Baggage
La Casa Rojas
It Came From Japan
Blank on Blank
Little Atoms
Here's the Thing
The Urbanist
SMoviemakers
The Danny Baker Show (Colin would indeed be interested)