Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kasper Hauser thread!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

All things Kasper Hauser, including SkyMaul, The Kasper Hauser Comedy Podcast, and everything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:32 am 
Site Admin

Great profile in the Chicago Tribune today!

and they were featured on the PRX podcast today: MP3

Here's the Tribune article:

THEATER: PREVIEW
Fly the send-up skies with SkyMaul's air farce

By Glenn Jeffers
Tribune staff reporter
Published January 12, 2007

It could be a twisted infomercial, or something so absurd that, for a moment, you aren't certain. A Carve-Your-Own Chess Set? Hmmm. That would keep the kids busy. Fingerless, sure. But busy.

Welcome to SkyMaul: the book and--now--multimedia creation of San Francisco-based comedy troupe Kasper Hauser. Like much memorable comedy, its most famous creation, based on the SkyMall catalogue, skirts treacherously close to reality. And when an airplane seat pocket-in-front-of-you catalog such as SkyMall sells ultrasonic jewelry cleaners and gravity-defying loafers, it's begging to be satirized.

The group will poke even more fun with their multimedia show, also based on the book, Friday and Saturday at The Chicago Sketch Comedy Festival. The festival concludes on Sunday.

"It's immediate recognition," Rob Baedeker said during a telephone interview. "Everybody knows how absurd [the catalog] is."

The quartet, which includes comedians Dan Klein and twins John and James Reichmuth, came up with the idea while flying back to San Francisco after a series of performances. Grabbing a couple of catalogs from their chair pouches, the comics started scribbling fake titles into the pages for fun.

When the quartet met with their literary agent to pitch book ideas, "SkyMaul" was fully formed as a parody that anyone who's ever flown on a commercial flight would get.

The book also fit with the kind of humor the quartet enjoys. The group once built a fake craigslist page filled with odd listings on its Web site, www.kasperhauser.com. One listing mentioned a woman looking for a man, but only for friendship.

Another mentioned a lost horse. He had a pellet gun and was a genius, fyi.

"We're into parody and it was sort of a natural fit to use [SkyMall] as a vehicle," Baedeker said. "There's something about being on a plane. Maybe it's the high altitude but people think they can perfect their lives through shopping, that if they get this water slide, their lives will be perfect."

As for the group, it's flourished since the Stanford University graduates and longtime friends came together in 2000, seemingly without the assistance of sky shopping. Despite performing mostly on stage, the group has ventured into other mediums, producing two films, the fake website, SkyMaul and other short video sketches.

Their writing translated well, said John Reichmuth, which allows the group to move from stage to film to prose without losing the joke, no matter how absurd.

"When you see a new medium, you feel compelled to jump into it," Reichmuth said. "But all the media we've explored, they're areas that made us laugh anyway. We like the written word and we like audio humor. We're after the same exclusive moment of great comedy that most of our fans are."

The writing also benefited from the four working together to sketch out ideas. Attacking the same premise from different comedic points lets them come up the jokes that never feel the same. In one section of "SkyMaul," the group listed a couple sub-standard products made by Uncle Terry, "your mom's older brother."

One product, Uncle Terry's sled, mentioned that there's nowhere to put your feet "until they've been rammed up your [rear] by gravity and alcohol." Another product, Terry's bullet boat, pulled fewer punches: "Your mom's older brother is an [expletive] and he thinks you and the rest of the cousins like to be whipped around on this inflatable raft. Well, you don't, and in fact you're really scared and worried you'll snap your neck."

Just stay focused and try to do well in school, the blurb concludes. Then go to college and get away from Uncle Terry.

"There's a fluid narrative, but you can't predict where it goes and that's what I love about SkyMaul," Reichmuth said. "It creates comedy like a warning on a Ouija board."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

daffers68 wrote:
No new topic for "This American Life 2"?

"Bontoons!"
"Blerlin Wall!"
"Jacques Clue-steau!"

Frickin' Brilliant!

Come on people, show the love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:17 am 
Site Admin

Kasper Hauser are live and free in LA on the 24th!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:26 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Much love for both the "This American Life" episodes of the KHCP.

He's got Ira's mannerisms down, the subjects and music etc., it's a great parody. The only problem is that no one else I know in real life listens to TAL (which leads me to believe that I don't know anyone who's worthwhile in real life), so I can't share the joke with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:36 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

The TAL parodies are hilarious.

"I don't care if they do have bathrooms.....this is the Eiffel Tower!" french accordion music

They really captured it totally.

TAL is so ritualistic in a way. The music especially was perfect. I loved it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:44 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jesse wrote:

Just made my reservation for myself and my pal. Fun! Neat! Yay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:35 pm 
New Kid

Who the hell is Kasper Hauser? Have I missed something big here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

helmer wrote:
Who the hell is Kasper Hauser? Have I missed something big here?

podcast

website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:11 am 
Maximum Funster

I thought Kasper Hauser was sick and we were supposed to send him get well cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:22 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

diddlymike wrote:
I thought Kasper Hauser was sick and we were supposed to send him get well cards.

Ohhh youuu, diddlymike. With the jokes! Love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:12 am 
Maximum Funster

Right back atcha, Super Trooper (in the ABBA sense, rather than Broken Lizard sense of the term, of course).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:20 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Quote:
Who the hell is Kasper Hauser?

He is TRULY part of California's GOLD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:31 pm 
New Sincericist

Congrats to Kasper Hauser for SkyMaul winning Best Satirical Book in the SF Weekly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:59 pm 
New Kid

I was listening to the podcast for the first time today at work. Love it all, but the TAL parodies were fucking awesome. They've got the musical interludes down, a spot on Ira Glass impression (in terms of what he says not just how he says it), and even the slightly mumbled credits we've all heard a thousand times. Well done Kasper Hauser. Well done.