Post subject: TSOYA: Mark Frauenfelder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Mark Frauenfelder interview on The Sound of Young America

Discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
New Sincericist

I've got a publicist-mailed copy of this book at home, and now, having heard the interview, I'm really jonesin' to read it. I desperately need the details on the whole up-and-moving-to-the-South-Pacific chapter of Frauenfelder's life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:06 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Mark is just so damn nice, enough so that it negates any ill feelings I might have about Cory Doctorow. Mark's voice is the adult version of "childlike wonder", and I love it.

I'm not much for reading books—short attention span—but I'm looking forward to this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:54 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I like Make Magazine but to be honest I've never read BoingBoing (although I've heard of it hundreds of times of course.) I didn't realize it was the same guy. I'll definitely check out Mark's book.

I enjoyed his insight into making mistakes, that's definitely the most important thing to learn when it comes to being handy or making / modifying things: You're going to screw up and cost yourself some money. It's worth it in the long run though.

I'm currently completely redoing my master bath, I pulled out the ceiling, ripped it down to the studs, and I'm even jackhammering the slab to move the location of the floor drains. One thing I didn't do however, was seal up the door to the master bedroom (vacant and full of tools at the moment), so even though I boarded up the AC vents, air was slipping under the door into the bedroom, and thereby into the master bath, where the open ceiling allowed air to flow up into the attic and out the soffit vents.

Long story short: This went on for 2 weeks before I snapped and realized it,and I went out to check my electric meter and discovered that I've used over 2000kwh in the last 2 weeks (2.5 months of usage).

So that was a 400 dollar mistake. Still, I don't feel that bad since I was trying my best and in the long run I'll still save thousands by doing all this stuff myself.