All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:41 pm 
Staff

Converse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:25 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Damnit, Thorn, this is why I can't listen to you while I'm out walking. I was compelled to buy a Reese's McFlurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:27 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Dairy Queen just came out with a Mini Blizzard. So it's, like, an appropriate amount of Blizzard, more or less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:18 am 
Maximum Funster

I think Jordan has a special tone of voice he uses in set ups to when he's going to talk about jacking off because when he said the "when you guys die..." bit, I knew with 100% certainty that he was going to say something about jacking off.

My favorite part of the king of children contest is that its 100% visual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:36 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jesse, don't call it stealing fruit. Call it gleaning. To no one's surprise a lot of people do that in Portland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 am 
New Kid

I had a large Reese's Sonic Blast tonight. I was ravenously hungry for dessert and I REGRET NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:42 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

You could have gone in the tabernacle in SLC, it's the temple you can't go in. If you had gone inside the tabernacle, they would have given you a demonstration of how the acoustics are so great that you can literally hear a pin drop without amplification.

And let me just say, that as a devout Mormon, I automatically bristle when I hear us come up in jokes, but all the jokes you made were 1) more accurate than inaccurate, 2) not meanspirited, and 3) actually funny.

So well done joking about what I hold sacred, guys! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:43 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Also, all this discussion of Reese's has been very confusing to me. I keep thinking that people are taking my food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:14 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jordan, you clearly forgot that fighting games have a weird jock culture around them and they, oddly, DON'T have drink tie-ins. Less twitch-based stuff gets Final Fantasy Potions and Halo Gamer Fuel, but the PRINGLES black guys and tight-jeans-wearing-Japanese-SNK-fanboys don't have the Powerade equivalent. On a side note, he should take Jesse to the national fighting game championships or rent him a Togeki DVD for podcast discussion.

Jesse, you clearly forgot Bourdain's mid-episode high school history lessons. Colombia had conservative law enforcement and economic policies for a couple of decades that Bourdain would hate, that were controversial, and that (with the generally virtuous people there) helped turn the country around. I think the episode's narrative was just, "I remember that this country produced a lot of cocaine. Also, Pablo Escobar is something. Did the U.S. do something bad here? I'll say yes! It's crazy that things changed so quickly after those things I know!"

Stellar episode, guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 pm 

I was extremely shocked to hear that the Dew Tour is so popular in Mormon Country. Not so much because I don't think Mormons like action sports, but because my understanding is that Mormon dogma says "no caffeine." Does the attendance make up for the lack of concessions-buying, or is everyone cheating while within the confines of the Dew Tour gates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:01 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Jessie, you don't steal people's fruit. What you do is you knock on their door, ask if they were going to use the fruit and if you could pick it, and then you respect their wishes. My father lived in a residential neighborhood and grew a garden and had a constant problem with people taking corn, fruit, and pumpkins. He used to go out two or three times a day on the weekends just to bust people who were taking an ear of corn or a peach. I can only imagine his reaction of someone using a fruit picker on his trees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:45 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Man, thanks for playing my call, guys! I swear my heart grew three sizes after listening to this episode. Jordan and Jesse are right that my "let's meet some cholos" overheard is probably more appropriate to Stop Podcasting Yourself. Next time I have a good overheard, I'll give them a ring. I'm going to a big artisanal grass-fed burger / microbrew beer event tomorrow, and I'm sure there will inevitably be some doozies there.

Had a great time hanging out with Jordan when he was in Chicago as well! That dude is some good fun. He's got an open invitation to hang out anytime.

As far as the subsequent discussion about my employer, NO COMMENT :)

Post subject: King of Fruit
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:19 pm 
New Kid

For what its worth, I've long thought Jesse to be the king of fruits.

If the fruit is hanging over a fence into your or public property, then its fair game. I would still recommend the use of an old-timey voice though.

Video games with "bros" really depends on the genre of the game. I dont see a lot of them playing World of Warcraft. More things like, Halo, or Tony Hawk Pro Skater 13. It seems like whenever you see a celebrity talk about how they like video games, is always these two. Plus there are always sports video games, which I as a nerd am not interested in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:16 pm 
Maximum Funster

so much to say about this episode:

First, guest was great. I disagree with his assessment of Bizarre Foods, which I enjoy because he doesn't really try to put a deeper philosophical attachment to every segment he does, other than "They (the other) eat this weird stuff and love it, but you americans do not. I'm going to eat it because I want to subvert the gaze" (or fetishize the other, depending on what subtext you as a viewer want to use).

I love anthony bourdain's show. I also do not think he is cool, but he seems like a neat guy.

Interestingly, both bourdain and zimmern were heroin addicts in the past, so that makes both shows cooler.

Bear Grylls of Man v. Wild's name isn't actually Bear, though it is a nickname.

American Pickers fits the description of ripping people off better than Pawn Stars. Pawn Stars they always seem to give a fair pawn price to, as they attempt to get appraised prices at auctions but the person pawning it to them doesn't have to deal with all the hassles involved with auctions--they just sign some forms and get their cash.

American Pickers, on the other hand, is about a couple guys traveling around rural america ripping off poor appalachians and the junk they collect over the years (at least this is how it seems--to be fair most of these people are junk collectors and these pickers are pretty common, but to the untrained eye it seems more problematic).

ALSO, JESSE WAS WRONG: 14 ounce cups are fluid ounces, not weight. so you could potentially get more or less than a pound of ice cream, depending on density. Ice cream is mostly air, so you'd really need to get an empty cup, zero out a scale, and then figure out weight instead of just assuming. However, a small blizzard is still usually way too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:20 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

kneemee wrote:
I was extremely shocked to hear that the Dew Tour is so popular in Mormon Country. Not so much because I don't think Mormons like action sports, but because my understanding is that Mormon dogma says "no caffeine." Does the attendance make up for the lack of concessions-buying, or is everyone cheating while within the confines of the Dew Tour gates?

A little inside joke we have goes:

How can you spot a good Mormon?

They drink their caffeine cold.

The prohibition is against coffee, everything after that is up to personal interpretation. Many Mormons draw the line at caffeinated sodas, but many others drink so much diet Coke in a day that Starbucks could sell their sweat as a house blend.