Post subject: TSOYA: Bill Burr
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Bill Burr on The Sound

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:21 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Love Bill, loved the interview. Seemed like Bill and Jesse were (wisely) trying to build a bridge between Bill's act and the public radio audience. Doubt there's much overlap between the O&A crowd and the PRI audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:55 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

That's the weird thing about Bill Burr. Like was touched on in the interview, he comes out swinging at the audience. Judging by the setups and first 40-50% of the jokes, he's a decent comedian who I'd probably classify as "not for me," but he has really interesting and surprisingly heartfelt turns that get you on board.

I became a fan of his first via other podcasts and then listening to his, where the sincerity and sympathy is just as evident, although spread a bit thinner over a crustier, anger-bread. It's hilarious to hear him go on funny spur-of-the-moment rants taking controversial or mean spirited stances to hear him say something like "Ah, I don't know what the fuck I'm talkin' about" and let go of his anger at the drop of a hat.

I can't think of another podcaster/personality out there who regularly admits to being wrong on things. He seems to take pleasure in changing his opinions as he gets more information. It's a really admirable quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:26 am 
New Kid

Bill Burr was good, though he sounded a little nervous. Jesse did a good job of trying to showcase him to a relatively new audience. I've never thought of Burr as particularly ferocious because his material is often self-deprecating and based on self doubt/discovery. I think the Philadelphia heckling incident was 15 minutes of spontaneous defense of the medium of stand up. I'm not a stand-up, but I assume every seasoned veteran of comedy appreciated that rant.
Quote:
(from a transcript I found online) You racist morons. F##king Rocky is your hero. The whole pride of your city is built around a f##kin guy who doesn’t even exist. F##kin Joe Frazier is from here, but he’s black so you can’t f##kin deal with him, so you make a f##king statue for some 3 ft f##kin Italian you stupid Philly cheese-eating f##ing jacka##es.

Quote:
Doubt there's much overlap between the O&A crowd and the PRI audience.

There are a few of us :) There are some O&A fans who can read. I was drawn to TSOYA on iTunes because of the comedians and great interviews -- the same reason I listen to O&A. Louis CK, Patrice Oneal, Joe Rogan, and (that) Kevin Smith all had their own shows on O&A's satellite radio channel. Marc Maron, Lewis Black, Doug Stanhope and Brian Regan are all repeat visitors when they're in NYC. Their guest comedians sit in for hours of uncensored, live radio. The potential for a great comedian to sit in is what keeps me listening through the more mass-appeal material. Obviously the show doesn't attempt to appeal to the PRI/NPR demographic -- but that doesn't mean there isn't a large block of open-minded O&A listeners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:01 am 
Maximum Funster

I saw Bill Burr go on after killer sets from a handful of my favorite headliners at benefit in Venice Beach last winter, and he crushed them all. It was very cool. I continue to grow to like him. Great ep, Thornie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:17 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jesse and Bill are two of the best. I listen to pretty much whatever I can get my hands on from both of them.