Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:12 am 
Staff

Our newest case regards the very famous rock band, The Beatles. Discuss!

Last edited by Julia on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:48 am 
New Sincericist

the commonly called white album, more specifically self-titled The Beatles double album is an unfocused mess written by 3 and a half people clearly not working as a combined unit.

Some of the greatest songs in The Great Songbook are on the album, but not everything.

The clear best Beatles album is Revolver . .though I may say Rubber Soul has a good run to it.

Sgt Pepper has a problem with consistency.

Shame on JJH, Jesse, and the two complainers for missing George Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which is the absolute best song on the White album

Balanced Systems Stimulate Civilizations

Last edited by BenMech on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:09 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Wrong. The best The Beatles album is The Chipmunks Sing The Beatles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:21 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I was the ridiculous complaint here, and While My Guitar Gently Weeps is an amazing song, I do not disagree, I just love the hell out of Helter Skelter. It wins out, but I can respect someone choosing While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:46 am 
New Kid

This Pat character has terrible taste in music, which, of course, is extremely subjective-seeming. Of course, it's not.

The white album has at least 20 very good songs on it. The very fact that Pete talks about the album in percentages shows that, in absolute terms, the white album has many more good songs than any other Beatles album. This was a really hard podcast to listen to because it kept dripping stupidity into my ears.

"I'm So Tired" is actually one of the best songs in the Beatles catalog.

FWIW, the only bad songs are (and it really depends on your own taste, but the rest, not listed here, are non-negotiably good or very good):

"Long, Long, Long"
"Honey Pie"
"Birthday"
"Revolution 9," though I'm loath to include it here since it is actually a great song--its greatness is negotiable, though.

The first two sides of the white album are unimpeachably great, and inarguably better than any of the trifling early Beatles cover albums. This Pan guy? Christ, what an a--hole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

bmichael, please do not sign up for the board to call one of our members (who was kind enough to appear on the podcast) a profanity. Not cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:47 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Oh, it's fine with me, I am a bit of an asshole sometimes, particular when I force my opinions on people as fact. I also think that it's a completely ridiculous thing to do and is funny and that was my reason for doing all of this and my tone. Now, I hope this bmichael fella is just joking as well, as he does call me about 4 different names. Either way, whatever, haters gonna hate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:48 pm 
New Kid

Odd to think about passing on albums to the next generation considering that current and ensuing generations really don't listen to albums.

And even though the Beatles came from a generation that produced many well thought out albums where songs emotionally connected and listening to them in order was relatively ( albeit not end-all ) important, I never really felt that way about the Beatles' albums themselves. Did anyone else feel this way?

I can vividly remember switching the records on the record player and then playing with the needle to play specific songs from the albums instead of listening to the cassette tapes which had to be fast forwarded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 am 
New Kid

This NY Mag guide to hating the Beatles properly might as well have been based on me, once upon a time, when I tried to overcompensate for not being much of a Beatles fan. It's actually stuff like The White Album which kept me away. I may not be representative of post-apocalyptic orphans, but I wish my opinionated friends had talked up Revolver or Rubber Soul instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:37 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

See, this is exactly my point!

Also, regarding people not listening to whole albums: I know people do this, I just don't get it. I'm an old man stuck in the past in many ways, and I was even more of an old man when I was little...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:45 am 
New Kid

I for one am a big fan of early beatles music, but i have a problem in that Pat chooses the twist and shout as the best beatles song, when its a cover. John Lennon does great on the song but if u are choosing someones best song i think it should be a song they wrote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:59 am 
Site Admin

Ike & Tina wrote a lot of great songs, but their best song is Proud Mary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:32 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Yeah, to be honest, I don't really have a #1 favorite song, so I had a hard time picking and that just came to mind. It is certainly one of my favorites and it was my favorite in my mind at that moment, but at other moments "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Oh Darling", "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You", "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Help" (among a few others) could all have been my answer.

Post subject: awesome episode!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:46 pm 
New Kid

Fantastic episode! Anyone interested in rethinking music criticism in terms of why and how people like or dislike a musician or band rather than whether or not they should like or dislike a musician or band--a conclusion that I think runs parallell to the discussion and judgment in his episode--might want to check out Carl Wilson's book Let's Talk About Love. It's from that 33 1/3rd book series that usually releases books about "important" and "seminal" albums, but this one is about Celine Dion and Wilson's struggle to understand why people like her.

http://www.amazon.com/Celine-Dions-Lets ... 580&sr=8-1

(I'm not Carl Wilson, promise! :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:12 pm 
New Kid

This episode pretty much sums up why I am a maxfun supporter. If you just read the description of this show I don't think it would be crazy to think "oh people arguing over which beatles album is best... that sounds like the worst thing." But, like just about everything that comes out of this awesome-factory it was a delightful listen that actually made me think.

Anyway, ridiculous complainant: you should post up that top ten beatles album list of yours on here. It was intriguing. Oh and I wouldn't mind seeing what your first and second favorite album are, since you mentioned that your favorite beatles album was your third favorite album.

Oops, too long of a post! I'm new! I love this show!